Tractor Forum banner

L2900 Front tire and rim.

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  madagascal 
#1 ·
First off, I am new to this group but not new to Kubota's. I'm 72 years old and have owned many throughout the years. My wife and I live off grid in northern Maine and today while plowing my tire came off the front rim. I want to buy a spare rim and tire, but the dealer wants 300 for a tire and 160 for the rim. Called a commercial tire company and they said a 8-16 would be fine instead of the 7.2 -16 ag tire. Another place said they sell the 7-16 to replace the 7.2-16. I found rims new on Ebay for 99.00 free shipping, same part number as Kubota gave me. Should I stay with the stock tire,7.2-16 and pay the big price or go with 2 new 7-16 or 8-16? Tractor is not used on any tar roads. Sorry for the rambling, that's what old guys do. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Hi Madigascal. Welcome to the forum. I'm not as experienced as many here but what I know and you probably know as well is that tire circumference is important for 4 wheel drives to have the right tire speeds while in 4 wheel drive. I have bought replacement rims for a kubota l245 I used to own aftermarket and they were as good as the kubota rims and half the price. If your front tires are tubeless you may want to consider putting tubes in them. I think the tires will be less likely to deflate or come off the rim in a hard turn or when the pressure gets low. Just some thoughts but a spare would be the quickest way to get back to work if you have a flat for any reason.

#6 ·
I would check with ALL the local deal;ers in your area.

Lots of folks want R4 vs R1 tires...the wheels are different too so lots of times theres a rack of New tires and wheels that have been sitting out back on a rack. They discount items like this up here.
Not sure where your at or how close dealers are......The Kubota ,JD and HH are every 30-40 miles in any direction up here.

I can't imagine that tire size being NLA but anything is possible. Like others mentioned.
What maters is the Heighth of the tire being that your machine is 4x4. Width don't matter ....Its how tall it is compared to whats on there now.

#9 ·
Well, I had a tube put in my tire this morning, that solved that problem. I ordered a new rim from ebay for 89.00 free shipping and I'm ordering a OTR Traction Master 7.2X16 8 ply for 221.00 with free shipping. I have Goodyear Torque tires on front and this OTR has the same diameter as the goodyear and cheaper. This way I will have a spare. My front tires have great tread and no deep cuts and are in good shape, so I don't want to buy two new ones now but do need a spare. We are getting 8-12 inches up here at the moment and we are 3 miles of the main road, so I need to start plowing as soon as possible so it doesn't get ahead of me. I want to thank everyone for all their help with this issue. I learned some things that I hadn't considered before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.