Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l went to get gas at the gas station and pay them for the gas and went to leave and it would not start at first l thought l was the battier l tryed to jump it but nothing so l had to push it home and at 750 lbs and a 50 lbs it was not easy it happed to me but it was the starter and it was engaged when the motor was not running it's not the same as before can any one help is it the solenoid ?

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
It could be numerous things! Poor grounding connection at the frame. Poor battery connections at the terminals. Loosened connection at the solenoid. Floating short in battery.

Look at the obvious and by process of eleimination.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Try cleaning up the battery terminals and cable connectors and clean the ground cable at the frame and positive at the starter. Sounds to me like you are not getting a good connection.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
l tryed cleaning the battery and ter but got nothing the starter was hot would that have any thing to do with it ??????

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it true that if you a battery going to the starter l will work if you get me ???? if so my starter l died would l be cheaper to by a new now or get the parts 4 the one l have or get a used one and hope for the best

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Originally posted by jbetts13
is it true that if you a battery going to the starter l will work if you get me ???? if so my starter l died would l be cheaper to by a new now or get the parts 4 the one l have or get a used one and hope for the best
You lost me on this one:confused:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I think he meens if you take a battery cable and touch it to the starter it should turn over. His isnt so it must be bad. I beleave thats what he trying to say.
Jody

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You should be able to take all the componants to the parts store and they should be able to test them for you. It might be as simple as the battery being bad. Ford products used to be bad about batteries, if they were bad, ie a bad cell you couldn't jump them at all. Once you put a new battery it would start right up. It had something to do with the battery being shorted.

Take the battery in and have it tested first, that is the easiest, then look toward the starter, it is much harder to take off. Good luck! I hope that will do the trick for ya!:D

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by jodyand
I think he meens if you take a battery cable and touch it to the starter it should turn over. His isnt so it must be bad. I beleave thats what he trying to say.
Jody
your right jody thanks

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by jbetts13
l tryed cleaning the battery and ter but got nothing the starter was hot would that have any thing to do with it ??????
So the motor's cold, but when you try to start it the starter gets warm. Right?

If so, it is probably bad, but just for giggles, check where it mounts to the block. If it grounds through the mounting bolts, and there is bad connection, that may do it also.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's mounted on the block and it's the starter l tryed 3 batterys and moved the ground to different stops l'm going to take the starter off land bring it in

444 yes the block is cold when trying

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
jbetts,
Now may not be the best time to tell you this as you are spending money fixing your starter, but go to J.D. Parts on line and check the monthly specials. They are offering a 20% off coupon on chrome hubcaps embossed with the Deere name. I remembered you were looking for hubcaps a while ago. Best of luck in getting your fixed!

so you can be doing this :tractorsm

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got thing the dealer has not got back to me thanks

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Greg
Huh...??
good thing l dealer have not got back to me l emailed them and had not orderded them now if l do l get 25% off

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
jbetts,
It is 20% off and you need to go to Deere parts and print out the coupon. Check to be sure it is good in Canada before you commit yourself to an order to avoid surprises.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts