Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kubota Z421KWT its about 1 year old. This week I set the deck to cut at the 1.5-2" height. Never really used that height before but trying to get it cut down lower.
The first day it cut all right but sounded loud like a mechanical problem. Looked and listened and could not find problem. After about 1 hour of mowing the center pully just sheared right off at the nut. I went and bought a center blade pully(50$) and installed it. When i had the deck off i wanted to change the blades too but didn't have the $$ to do it yet. I grabbed each blade and tried moving it and there is play in the center Pully Holder and a little on the left side. The next day after new pully installed cut for an hour pully sheared off again same place.

I have only ever owned smaller lawn tractors which all seem to be made by Murray. Usually when there was a pully problem I would just buy the whole new part. I think it was called a mandrel however now i see it is referred to as a pully holder. Also i noticed you can buy the shaft and the bearing separately. So i am wondering should i buy the whole part its 90$ or the shaft and bearings approx 40$? I am assuming i must have hit a rock and bent blade and perhaps the shaft. I just don't know if that's the problem.
If anyone has had this problem and can help or offer advice i sure would appreciate it.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have problems like this when i spent the 8 grand on this mower however a lot of little things have gone wrong. i.e. hour meter doesn't work, brake switch sticks so motor cuts off when levers are engaged, bounce on seat ever so lightly and it cuts off and requires lifting seat and jiggling wires to switch to get it to restart.
Kind of disappointed in the failure of the small things but the motor and frame seem sturdy. The deck is starting to worry me.
Thank you all for any help
Rick

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Hello Rick, welcome to the forum.

Can you post pictures of the failures to give us a better understanding of your problem? Is this a PTO shaft driven deck?

You say that there is play in two of the spindles? Do your grease the spindles regularly?

When you are cutting at 1-1/2" to 2", it cut OK for the first day but sounded loud? Are you scalping frequently? You must be mowing a large area to carry the job over from day to day.

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rick. I find that if I try to take my lawn down shorter than I normally do, my tractor will make a racket and struggle as well. I have a tendency to cut the lawn in two passes, or cut it more often to get it shorter.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Bill makes a good point. Most of us cut progressively lower, rather than taking it down in one pass to protect / preserve the mower.

If you are seeing play in spindles of a year old mower, you must be working it very hard. Are you greasing the deck spindles and rotating components on a regular basis?

Shearing the center out of spindle pulleys indicates that you may be exceeding the deck design capability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts