Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of installing a kubota 2 cylinder diesel into a HondaRT5000. Has anyone attempted to do this or something similiar?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Plenty or YT vids showing repower options with Harbor Freight engines. :) Amazing how those work so good over the vintage original engines.

I myself stay clear of anything that is 2-cly diesel due to the diesel hammering. They are like a loud popcorn machine and run a tad higher in RPMs over a 3-cly. Yet, a 2-cly gasser runs a bit better.

You could try to tune an exhaust to control some of the noise of the Kubota 2-cly engine. That Honda RT5000 is such a tiny machine to begin with. A great SCUT for it's day. Bummer there are not many around anymore.

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was lucky enough to find 2 Honda RT5000's and bought both, one was in great running condition and I use it to mow every week, the 2nd one did not run and had some issues. I had a donor T1600 Kubota so I started modifying the Honda to install the 2 cylinder diesel. So far I've got the engine installed and it runs and everything works on the tractor itself as far as the hydraulic lifts and PTO's. I'm working on the wiring and gauges now. some significant modifications to the drive train and new spots for the gas tank and battery will need to be made also. My thoughts were pairing the torque and HP of the diesel with the gearing of the Honda would make a great workhorse for using the push blade and box blade.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I was lucky enough to find 2 Honda RT5000's and bought both, one was in great running condition and I use it to mow every week, the 2nd one did not run and had some issues. I had a donor T1600 Kubota so I started modifying the Honda to install the 2 cylinder diesel. So far I've got the engine installed and it runs and everything works on the tractor itself as far as the hydraulic lifts and PTO's. I'm working on the wiring and gauges now. some significant modifications to the drive train and new spots for the gas tank and battery will need to be made also. My thoughts were pairing the torque and HP of the diesel with the gearing of the Honda would make a great workhorse for using the push blade and box blade.

Thanks,
How does it sound? Is it prone for hearing protection? Or have you done enough to muffle the hammering out the exhaust?

Nice you found the 2 Hondas. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts