Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having problems with my 17hp kohler (kt17s) on my gravely tractor. it is running very strange, it is not running that steady, making alot of noise and lacking power even at higher rpm's. i think it has something to do with the ignition. i took the cover off the breaker points and ran it, the spark was jumping all over. i figured it was mosture so i sparyed and dryed them ran it for a while, no problem and i put the cover back on it. about an hour later i started it back up to use it and the same problem all over. if anyone has any idea of what to do or what it wrong please help me out, i need the tractor for the winter. thanks. it also has 1900 hours on it if that matters, but has had regular maintince.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Normaly when you have a lot of sparks when the points make, and break, it is the condencer thats shot. I would install a new one, and also a new set of points becouse they are probably burned pretty bad by now. Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just put a condencer in it 2 months ago and havent used it much since then. also the points are clean and dont look burned.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Have you checked the point gap? Also the little push rod that comes from the block that opens the points sometimes gets some crud on it and gets sticky, causing problems. I'd also go with Paul's suggestion in replacing the condensor again, they are cheap and do go bad sometimes for no real reason.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you think i should change the points them selves. is it possible for them crack or something.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I had a set of points on a two cycle mower once were one of the contact pads loosened and would move changing the gap.

Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm going tomarrow to buy points and a condenser. i really hope this solves the problem. as soon as it is back up and running i'm going to put the plow back on it and set up the snow blower so i can switch between attatchments easily and i'll put the sides back on the cab too. i just wish the gas tank was'nt under the hood so i could seal the front of the cab up good with some tape. i think i'll tape the inside seems of the cab to help keep the heat in.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Boy I bet it helps. It sure SOUNDS like spark scatter. Has anything been rewired to the ingnition? Just a thought, and not sure if it matters to this motor, but if there was suposted to be a resister inline, and its gone, the higher voltage could do it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as far as i know the ignition is original, i got the machine used, i think every thing is correct.

i changed the points and condencer, it would not start, so is put the old points in with the new condencer and it started right up. i might have adjusted the new points wrong, but any way it runs, but is lacking the power it had power at lower RPM's but is running better than it was at higher RPM's. i solved part of the problem but still need to figure out the new points.

has anyone had experience with those little modules that they sell to replace the points? i wonder if they are really any good and if they would work on my tractor being it's a two cylinider.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i buttoned up the engine today. it was running fine so i put the covers back on and what ever else was there. i also put the sides on my cab.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts