Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kohler motor off a Ford tractor the P O thought it was a 10 hp but it's 1 1/2 times the size of my Briggs 10 and about twice as heavy, I haven't found any ID tags or markings were do I look for a tag or markings or any way of IDing it
Thanx
Archie

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Here is something I found doing a search on the web.

=========================

Kohler Engine Identification Numbers:

The engine model and serial numbers appears on a metal tag or decal that's attached or affixed to the flywheel shroud, on the carburetor side of the engine. But if there's no metal tag or decal that originally came with the engine, or if the engine block was replaced with a replacement short block or if the blower shroud has been replaced, there's no way of knowing exactly what year the engine is. All you'll know is the year of the blower shroud itself. Tags/decals and flywheel shrouds can be swapped from one engine to another and there are no numbers or identification characteristics on the blocks themselves (except for the 10hp through 14hp engines has 9 head bolts, the 16hp has 10 head bolts and the 18hp is OHV). Therefore, to see what size the engine actually is, it's best remove the cylinder head and measure the bore and stroke to determine engine size. Because a 10hp can be bored and stroked to a 12hp, using a 12hp piston, rod and crank, and a 12hp can be bored to a 14hp, using a 14hp piston, rod and crank.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Found similiar type of information for Gravely's too. Nothing specifically for a Ford setup. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by archyb2
I have a Kohler motor off a Ford tractor the P O thought it was a 10 hp but it's 1 1/2 times the size of my Briggs 10 and about twice as heavy, I haven't found any ID tags or markings were do I look for a tag or markings or any way of IDing it
Thanx
Archie
First yes the Kolhers are a BIG motor. So I am not suprised it is bigger then the brigs. No tags at all on it?

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for the comeback guy's
I will have to check the # of head bolts that will give me an idea of size(was going to say give me a clue, but wife says not a chance of that) and no tag of any kind, I think maybe it was a sticker and it got scraped off, looks like someone cleaned it a little then spray bombed it. I bought it to put on my Jacobsen 100 tractor which I was told should be a 10 hp Kohler, well there's no way it fits on there, mounting holes of the motor are 6X12 or 14
holes on tractor are 4X8 or 10 not complaining though price was right and its a GREAT running motor just have to find another use for it now, another project, I need more
Archie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts