Tractor Forum banner

kohler engine valve noise

997 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jbauto1 
#1 ·
have a john deere scots 2048 lawn tractor with kohler cv20s 20 h.p. ohv engine with excessive valve noise. info i,ve found indicates hydraulic lifters but no mention of any valve adjustment. also shows to have pressure lube oil system. need to know what oil pressure should be & if cks. ok am i looking at possible worn lifters, push rods, etc. any help or info greatly appreciated. thanks, jim

#2 ·
I mess with a larger Kohler. It sounds like it might be getting a touch tickey as well, but it might also be an exhaust manifold. In the past, I noticed the sump filled up with water when the machine was left out in the rain. That took me 5 oil changes to get clean.

It should have a low oil pressure shut-down and you can find pretty comprehensive service manual on line from Kohler.

#3 ·
Might be time to remove the lifters and inspect, they could be gummed up and sticky, I cannot give you an oil pressure requirement of the engine and not sure where you would attach a test gauge on the engine, I would imagine if the engine oil pump was not up to spec, then you will eventually have a major engine problem.

With the tappet cover removed, you should be able to see if there is any major wear in the rockers and pushrods, the hydraulic lifters have an internal compression spring which is preset, the spring may have weakened or even broke, there is not much to go wrong with hydraulic lifters, as mentioned, gummed up or weak or broken spring.

You should be able to remove the lifters from their guides with one of those "Snap On telescopic magnet" or the like without having to remove the engine from the chassis and pull the engine down, make sure you reinsert each lifter into the correct inlet and exhaust crankcase guide on assembly.

#4 ·
So you're hearing noisy lifters in a 25 year old engine.... What do you expect? As far as I know, all of the "Command Pro" Kohlers run the same lifters, for either intake, or exhaust (Kohler Part # 25-351-11-S) Same goes for push rods (Kohler Part # 24 411 05-s). Same goes for rocker arms and rocker pivots (25 186-01S & 24 599-02S)....... CV20s camshaft 2401210-S

$200 in parts Including head gasket kit should replace every thing, if you're cam isn't worn out, and you can do it all in chassis. Here's a link to the CV Service Manual in the Resource Section of this forum

Kohler CV Service Manual

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.