Tractor Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
It appears that the lights were working prior to washing from what the OP quoted and that is what I have based my assumption on, and you could be right Squid with a bad ground.

If he used a pressure washer and was under the hood spraying back against the firewall he could have gotten water behind the firewall and up under the dash or knocked a chassis ground off......If his is an open station, I really doubt that his switches went bad...Like I have said, unless he has a different CK3510 then I do, he would have to have two switches bad for it to be switches.....

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
If he used a pressure washer and was under the hood spraying back against the firewall he could have gotten water behind the firewall and up under the dash or knocked a chassis ground off......If his is an open station, I really doubt that his switches went bad...Like I have said, unless he has a different CK3510 then I do, he would have to have two switches bad for it to be switches.....
Righto!! you have the floor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If he used a pressure washer and was under the hood spraying back against the firewall he could have gotten water behind the firewall and up under the dash or knocked a chassis ground off......
Nobody asked but I'm gonna jump in here, anyway.......

I never, not ever, never wash the engine compartment on anything. If I ever go to look at a used car (it would be rare for me to do that) I would NOT want to see a clean engine compartment. Too many fuses and electrical connections, plus, I don't know what got washed away..... Coolant, oil, PS or brake fluid... I wanna see it au naturale.

As usual, YMMV

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Me, I'm the opposite interestingly. My engines on all my equipment are kept spotless is are the rest of the sheet metal (on everything) but, on a modern tractor or vehicle, most every electrical connection terminates in a 'Molex' connector or locked together pin connectors that are mostly moisture proof anyway and I have a habit of separating them and applying di-electric grease to them which further prevents any water intrusion. I've never has one electrical failure ever on either of my tractors. I've has electrical component failures but not wiring failures. Had to replace one multi function (lights, flasher and horn switch because it failed but that was it. I keep all of them clean and tidy. That way I can see if a leak develops or something appears to have failed.

That probably don't apply to old tractors but even an old tractor employs 2 part interlocking connectors but probably not industry standard Molex style connectors that usually have rubber 'o ring' seals that exclude dirt and moisture ingress anyway. I'd say you have rodent chewed wiring somewhere or a bare wire or a failed wire and tractor wiring harnesses aren't that complex in the first place. I'd be tracing wires and checking continuity with a multi meter and checking various switches. Not that complex at all really. Even a simple 12 volt test lamp works and you don't need a degree in electrical engineering to use a multimeter and they are cheap to purchase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We had between 3 and 5 Car Lots on our customer list. Ones we did work for at a slightly reduced rate. When I say we, I mean my Brother's Mechanic shop. I was there almost as much as he was.

The Car Lots can't afford real mechanics, just grease monkeys, etc. They don't have enough work for them. Not like a Dealership.

Car lots are unique in that they don't buy batteries for their cars. Ever. They just let them sit until they need to start them for a custie and jump start them. Which is not all that good for computers regardless of what you've been told.

They also need to keep their cars clean and the way they do that is to pressure wash them. They're not gonna send them through a bikini car wash every time they need washed. Which is often.

When they come in from a OEM Dealer (trade-ins they don't want) or from Auction, they also need to be spruced up. Pressure Wash the Engine Bay, even the trunk and interior if it needs it.

Replaced a lot of computers and did a lot of electrical work on those guys' cars.

I have two friends that are mechanics. Good ones. Serious professionals. One is a regular mechanic with 40 years of experience the other is a diesel mechanic with 20 years experience. One owns his shop (6 bays, 4 mechanics) the other is an employee.

Both will have a coronary if you suggest pressure washing the engine bay on -- Anything. Had a buddy (sort of) that had a nice Ulta Glide. Real nice. He would take it to the Hardly Dangerous Dealership 2 - 4 times a Month depending on riding weather (which is a lot down here in S Florida) for them to clean it. They use a pressure washer. I warned him; he poo-poohed me. The young lady that does that is a sight to behold. She actually does wear a bikini most of the time. Not when it's cool/cold. I think she makes more than the GM. 4cereal

He had to have the wheel bearings front and back replaced. At his expense. Which isn't cheap on a big motorsickle.

pressure washing

I'm not trying to tell anybody what they should do, I'm just passing along things I've learned over the years. I could be wrong. YMMV

·
Administrator
10,162 Posts
Worse? Worse than water running down the outside of my sewer vent pipe and oozing into the wife's bathroom, under the baseboards, causing the man to peel the baseboards off and cut out drywall, pull out wet insulation and then climb up on the roof and caulk around the vent stack boot where it lifted off the steel roof and let water in kinda worse! If you know what I mean! LOL

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Worse. I don't do that stuff. I call the contractor that takes care of my rentals and pay him to do it. Home repair and me don't get along at all, IOW, I hate it. Bad enough replacing a faucet.

I just cleaned and greased the NH 450 round bailer for it's trip to the dealer. I said goodbye and good riddance. It will not run 52 over the edge net no matter what I do with it. Tired of fighting with it so it got traded in. Less than 500 bales total on it too.
Not bad here, got to 50. Tomorrow, more rain. Yuk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts