Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did my Craftsman lawn tractor in.

I stripped the pinion gear & I can't readily find a replacement.

Sears won't sell me just the gear, they only want to sell me a 'kit' for $75.00, AND they can't promise a delivery date. The 'best' they can do is quote me 7-10 working days... "But it might take a little longer."

The closest place that will order the part for me is an hour+ away in Scott, LA. They expect me to drive there, order & prepay for the part, then they won't even ship it to me! I'll have to drive back to pick it up. This, after they expect to charge me for shipping too.

I got so P.O.-ed & frustrated (especially when added to the probs with the MTD I'm fighting with) I went out & bought a new tractor.

It's the first new mower I've ever owned. I've been mowing with 2nd & 3rd hand machines since I was 9.

My wife said: "Good! Less fixing, more mowing." Then she added: "Now you'll have more time to work on other household projects."

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
CatDaddy thats an old tractor but where is the pictures of the new one and what kind is it. Congrats on your new tractor.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bought a Husqvarna YTH2148. Wanted the GTH2548, but couldn't really afford an extra $800.
I got a 12mo/0% interest on the 2148 plus they threw in a 10 cu-ft dump cart for 'free'.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well it sounds like you bought yourself a nice LT:thumbsup:and the dump cart comes in handy to. Pictures we need pictures.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Looks good Congrats again:clap: Also I think the inspection sticker on your truck is expired:lmao:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've skipped that little detail for the last couple of years. NANA I only drive it to the building supply store & our building lot every so often. With only 8 cops on duty in town any given day, I just don't worry about it. bartmoon

Since my bro-in-law & I cobbled a trailer together over x-mas, I don't drive it much. Now my wife want's me to sell it. Need a diesel Rabbit pickup?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Anyone have a gear?

Does anyone have an old junk craftsman they'd be willing to part out? I'd be more than happy with a half-way decent used gear.
I'd just really hate to trash this fine :lmao: mower. :furious:

It never hurts to have a spare haulin', mowin' machine.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
81 VW diesel Rabbit Pickup

Yup. Here's your flashback to the early '80s!

It even came with a fitted fiberglass topper on the back. I had to store it though, since I often had to haul stuff too tall to fit inside. I managed to round up a sliding glass rear window for it, which was a score considering it was almost 20 years after they quit making them.

I hate having cars I hardly ever get to drive. But, 2 small kids (w/ car seats) in a 2 seater is definitely a no-go!

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I havent seen one of those in years. Does it still run good should get close to 50 MPG and the body is still in good shape.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, yeah. It still runs well, but the last time I checked it only got 38-ish mpg. But that didn't include any highway miles, it was all in town & around the parish.

The paint sucks (obviously), but the body is still in decent shape. Never been wrecked, no dents (well, a few parking lot door dings). There's a small bit of minor surface rust, but it has a couple small spots of rust through. 1 the size of a quarter, near the rear wheelwell & a spot on the trailing edge of the driver's door where the door skin attaches to the door carcass.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
CatDaddy ---- Good buy on that AYP/Husky! Do you have a part number on the replacement part and/or the part number/model of your old Craftsman? I have a buddy that can look em up. I will definately look to see what I can do for you. :D

Bye

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by admin
CatDaddy ---- Good buy on that AYP/Husky! Do you have a part number on the replacement part and/or the part number/model of your old Craftsman? I have a buddy that can look em up. I will definately look to see what I can do for you. :D

Bye
The best I can tell, the tractor's model # is 502.254970

The part description is 'Pinion Gear' - Part # is 92007.
It was superceded by the 'kit' which also includes the sector gear (and something else, not listed) part # 402075.

Thx!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
S-J/Chief:
Thanks! It was the best I could manage within my ~$1800 budget.
(Not wanting to start any BrandWars here.):hide:
12 months interest free was also a persuader.

p.s. I don't really want to give up on the Craftsman if I can fix it.

Chief: The going rate in this area (for the condition) is $850-$1700. I'll probably ask 1500, with 1200 as my bottom line since I've got new parts in it (starter, glow plugs), topper & (fairly rare) factory alloys on it.

L8r,
Angel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts