Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am certainly not the oldest one here at TF.com but let me share this short story with you guys and enlighten me with your responses. Last week we met with a large state-funded technical college in order to establish a worker's training program for basic cable (CATV) indutry certification (including pole climbing, driving safety, etc) to help train people across the state with good jobs and in turn provide the cable industry with a pool of trained workers for the future. In addition we will be sponsoring a wide-area networking and Cisco CCNA (based upon Cisco Academy workbooks) in 2004. (I have signed up to be guest speaker and advanced instructor as needed for the class)

In any case, I inquired off-topic about any carpentry or engine rebuilding etc classes being offered at the school. The dean advised me that they had abandoned the carpentry classes because there was little/no interest since "kids don't want to work these days and carpentry/construction involves work" ---
He also advised that they have some basic ASC courses but again no interest due to work for what some newbies consider too little pay. I guess we should cross our fingers as the cable industry is full of lots of work (especially as installer, line tech etc)
and it might bomb out as well.

I was surprised especially in light of the massive new build and construction around the state --- I guess things are changing or maybe it is just down here. I would expect this type of pompous & indifferent behaviour in 90210, but not in Louisiana. I must say that I was completely shocked by the teens I witnessed yesterday at the mall while shopping. While I am not old nor do I dress unfashionably, I was amazed at the commonality of these kids. The lazier and more sloppy dressed as possible, the better for these kids....It is completely ironic ---- buying old cheap plastic mesh trucker and oil field service caps (just check out any clothing store or catalog for kids) and yet wouldn't put in a minute to do either of the work.... blue-collar is in enough to sport as a "fashion" but not enough to perform as a job.

It is strange --- opposite of the preppy golf crowd, but just "playing the part" of the blue-collar worker ---- while paying white-collar prices for blue-collar clothes.... very strange indeed.
A whole crop of young people that act while doing nothing at all.

I digress...
Andy

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
not to sound like my parents; even though the oldr i get.. the more sense they made..

But yes, kids dont do much nowadays... no need... I used to work between 32-46 hours per week after i turned 16 and could legally work. Prior to that I had a paper route and painted appts and did yard work part time.... The paper route from when i was 10 to 17, the yard jobs started at 12 w/my brother then from 13-17, so from 16-17 years of age i did yard jobs/painted on the weekend days, and worked as a dishwasher/cook in afternoons and weekend nights... bought and Maintained my own car at age 16 (71 dodge challenger) when it broke down and i had no money.. it sat till i could afford to fix it.... When i went to college (later in life at 20 years old) i worked 2-3 part time jobs and mostly paid my way..

But nowadays, kids get their colleges paid for, along with a new car & gas, & repairs, and an allowance and dont work or dont work much...

Different times.. we have more money now.. so its given to the kids...

not all, but many, never have to really work hard for money... Thats great when they are young.. who knows what their work ethics will be like later in life..

let me get off of my soapbox now...

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Its the parents

I think its the parents fault that the kids are the way they are today. When i was 14 and summer came my Dad got me a Job working at a welding shop. When i complained they just said if you want to get your drivers license when you turn 15 you need to make some money to pay your insurance or you wont get your license. So needless to say i went to work and have been working ever since. I'm know stranger to work and never will be my last job which i was at for 12 years i work 60 to 65 hours a week and more then a few weeks a year 70 to 80 hours a week. It was great when i was younger but as you get older and have worked those many hours week after week it takes a toll on you. Its up to the parents to install work ethics in there kids and not buy them everything they want make them work and make there own money to buy what they want. And don't give them money if they are short make them wait till next payday. Teach them how to mange there money. They will learn that money don't grow on trees you have to work to get what you want. And if they don't move out when they turn 18 make them pay you rent for food and board. It don't have to be alot $60. a week also make them put some money up in a saving account or something to teach them not to spend every Pennie. Ok i done i could go on and on but I'm done.
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I am with you guys on this one. I started out mowing lawns at about 13. I worked for a house builder, and after the houses were done, I would keep them mowed till they sold/closed. At this time I used my Dad's mower, and paid him to "lease" them. He got half my pay, but he paid for the gas, upkeep, and provied the mowers.

Today, it just is not like that. Sure some kids are real hard workers, but a lot more are not. I think a lot has to do with people not taking responsablity for there actions any more. When a kid gets in trubble in schol now, it is the teachers falt. When I did, I did not want to go home, becouse I knew I was going to catch hell.

Prime example. My sisters kid. Nice kid, but never worked a day in his life. They tell him to do something, and he eather does not, or does a half assed job at it. Yet every year, he gets what ever he want's. Trashes his bike? no porblem. Mom will just buy a new one. I try to help when I can, but sometimes I think it's a loseing battle.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Its the parents

Originally posted by jodyand
I think its the parents fault that the kids are the way they are today.

Good point ---------- well taken, you are absolutely correct....some parents are too busy trying to "be cool friends with" and trying to entertain themselves, they dont discipline their children anymore.
Strange ------ I know it is just some kids, but it seems quite prominant...

Good points...
Andy

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Re: Re: Its the parents

Originally posted by admin
Good point ---------- well taken, you are absolutely correct....some parents are too busy trying to "be cool friends with" and trying to entertain themselves, they dont discipline their children anymore.
Strange ------ I know it is just some kids, but it seems quite prominant...

Good points...
Andy
It's the parents fault all right. By letting the telivisions and malls babysit for their kids because they're to busy with their career and social hierarchy to notice or care. I better stop now, because this is one subject that I could go on about for hours.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My fathers attitude was you will get the basics, religon, a roof over your head,3 meals a day and cloths on your back are all you get. If want the extras, the fancy bike or cloths, Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. I started at 10 years old and have never stopped in 35 years.
When I raised my son he got the same treatment from me except I allowed 2 extra years because he was not as mature as I was at 10. He carried newspapers, mowed grass and worked for his Uncle as a farm hand and learned to work hard for every penny. I feel it is all dependent on the parent to raise the kid in a respect to money and work.
My son enlisted into the Air Force and continued with college after he left home. Today he is a engineer in the Air Force and a Captain in the Air Force.
Thats not say I did not spoil my son (only child) I did but I always made sure he understood that in life hard work is the only way to survive and provide for your self and your family. I am super proud of my son because today when I look at my grandson and granddaughter I see my son in both of them.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Kids are what they hear

We keep telling kids that they are lazy no good bums. They do thier best to not make us into liers.This is a generational thing,they said the same things about teens growing up in the 60's.
Kids need motivation.Buying them play stations and skateboards will not get it done.Cutting School budgets and taking away the ability to mantain discipline in our Schools will not get it done.
Parents need to be held responsible for thier children.It seems that a lot of them want to pals with thier kids. That does not work,we have to spend years being parents. Sometimes that means saying no, and sticking to our guns.As a parent of two grown sons,one thing I always believed was, if an adult knocks on your door to tell you some bad thing your child has done, he did it. If the child is not held responsible,chances are eventually I will see him or her at my place.My place is a Correctional Facility.
I have seen Mothers visiting thier sons and daughters in jail comment that this is the only place where they could talk to thier children without getting screamed at by them.Some also admit that with thier child in jail they can,for the first time leave thier purse on the kitchen table without getting robbed.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I agree 100%. While I may be one of the younger guys on here (31), I know hard work. From the time I was 10, I had a paper route until I was 15. I then worked at a department store after school and during the summer to pay for my car.

Once I was old enough to drive, I got a summer job working at the golf course 1 mile from my house. I would go to work at 4am every day and work til at least 3pm. That job was hard labor, raking sand traps by hand, weed wacking for hours on end. Push mowing for hours. Re-building stone walls, sodding tees and fairways. The list goes on and on.

By the end of each summer, I learned two things. One was I developed a really good golf swing which I still have to this day. The other was that I couldn't wait to go back to school. Everytime I wanted to slack off at school or not try my best, I would ask myself if I wanted to do this type of work for the rest of my life.

I graduated from college in 1994 and graduated from graduate school in 1995. I worked at that golf course on weekends even after I landed a job working for a Fortune 40 company (AlliedSignal). I still got up and went to work on weekends for the extra money and the free golf as we were getting married and building a house.

After a while, I decided that it was time for me to move on, but I realized that I actually enjoyed the hard work and it equated over to our house. I did all of our landscaping after the house was built. I started to get into woodworking to build some cool things and to use some of the wood we cut from the property.

I would have to agree with the comment that some people in my age group are lazy or not motivated, that is fine, but it is killing alot of the skilled jobs out there now. Welders, woodworkers, auto body technicians, etc are all fields that are desperate for workers.

T.V. shows like Monster Garage, American Choppers and Junkyard Wars are starting to have people get interested in these trades again.

While at the NACE (auto body trade show) last weekend, alot of students came by our booth. I asked alot of them why they were getting into this field and quite a few said they saw shows on T.V. and thought it would be cool to do. They tried it at vo-tech schools and will eventually be successful at their trade.

One kid in particular surprised me. His community college teacher came by our booth and was talking to me about his school. He told me that this kid was the valedictorian of his high school class and was going into autobody as a painter because it is what he wanted to do. He told me that his father threw him out of his house after he said he was going to become a painter because "there was no money in it". The teacher was telling me that the kid is getting two other students and they are starting their own autobody shop with money they have pooled together from doing odd auto body/paint jobs. They will do well for themselves as I saw pictures of some of this kids work and it was unbelievable.

I guess what I am saying is that broad statement like "kids don't wanna work anymore" can be misleading. Some kids don't, many still work damn hard either through manual labor or through working as an executive in an office.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Just for discussion....why work in the construction industry if you can make more, work less hours in a climate controlled facility as the IT guy for some corporation or company???? The construction world is a very hard place. You are up with the chickens and home after the streetlights come on. You can be putting on shingles in 100 degree or higher temps or freezing your butt in a hole filled with freezing water trying to get a pipe repaired. Not to mention the strain on you’re bodies bending over all the time and carrying heavy toilets and bathtubs to name a few. :naah:

I took two years of building trades in high school, I enjoyed the idea building something. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment, but there is a big price. Your health, time away from your family, and dealing customers and your helpers are just the starters. Running your own business is not a cup of tea. I guess I don't have to tell you all that!!:fineprint :

It does come back to a persons values and morals, if they have them it doesn't matter what job they are doing they will do it to the best of their abilities and be honest if they don't know how to do it. On the other hand if they don't have them you are in for a world of hurt and continuous problems!!:naah:

A good example of these is the capture of Sadam, he supposedly had $750k on him when he was captured. If it were you and you were a young PFC with a few x-tra rounds of .223 how much money would be left when the leadership showed up? It shows something of the morals and character of the folks that picked him up.

Life is full of choices it is up to us to pick the right ones. Hug the kids and tell them how much you love them and do the best you can to teach them what you have learned!!!
Good luck we will all need it!!!
:merry:

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
True in 2003, and still true today. Teenager's are lazy for the most part there are very few exceptions. I believe teens, and young adults need some sense of direction.

·
Caractacus Potts
2,442 Posts
or a good smack on the back of the head, my wife used to call it brain dusting

Reactions: jhngardner367

·
Administrator
12,412 Posts
Heck, I see older people that are lazy. I think of all the people I know on disability when they are perfectly capable of working. I always say "Don't worry, we'll carry you! Now excuse me, I need to get back to work so you can rest" (pissed off)

Reactions: wjjones

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Its that generation I call them the (entitled) cause they think they are entitled to get something for nothing.

·
Administrator
12,412 Posts
(Rant switch is now in the "ON" position)

Oh, I don't think it's any generation in particular, it's just lazy people who don't give a crap about anyone else but themselves. You see it more and more these days because people are more and more getting the sense that it's okay, especially with the leadership we have these days. No more respect, no more scruples, no more heroes anymore. It's pretty bad when the people we're supposed to be looking up to, are whipping their crap out and bringing shame and lack of respect for women.minorities and people whom are different. They apologize, and then everyone say, okay he apologized, we're okay now, but it's only because they've been caught is the reason they apologize. Not to ditz the earlier generations but I was born in the 1960s and me and my wife, were having dinner with a friend at a popular Mexican restaurant, and the friend, who was 21 years older than me starts in on the younger punks born in the 1970s, meaning ME........ all of the sudden the spilled a bowl of burrito sauce all over the table, and just left it. I started cleaning it up, as they just watched. Finished the clean up all by myself as they just watched, then said "What was it about the 1970s generation being lazy slobs? Could you elaborate on that for me please? My wife almost pissed her pants laughing. (Okay, rant switch is now in the "OFF" position) Carry on.

Reactions: FredM

·
294 Posts
Heck, I see older people that are lazy. I think of all the people I know on disability when they are perfectly capable of working. I always say "Don't worry, we'll carry you! Now excuse me, I need to get back to work so you can rest" (pissed off)
I don't see much difference.
I've been out there in the work force for 40+ years.
I've seen older people that are lazy and younger that are lazy.
I see younger people that are hard workers and older that are hard workers.
Nothings changed IMO.

·
Administrator
12,412 Posts
I didn't say it, but I was meaning older and younger. The assumption is that it's just young kids that are lazy and worthless. At least they are still young and still putting it together, just stand back to see where it goes. Older people have no excuse.

·
294 Posts
I didn't say it, but I was meaning older and younger. The assumption is that it's just young kids that are lazy and worthless. At least they are still young and still putting it together, just stand back to see where it goes. Older people have no excuse.
Agreed.
I see just as many lazy, dead beet older people out there as there is younger.

·
Registered
464 Posts
26 years a highschool teacher - The kids who had nothing but had a way to get a job- went the furthest, unless they got sidelined by alcohol and drugs, and theft. The kids who were always in an activity with watchful and involved families did well when working gave them a way to be independent and self sufficient that was separate from their families.
It is drugs and booze that kill a kid's desire to do anything. Kind of hard to motivate these kids if the family is hitting the bottle and smoking dope.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
My grand daughter's boyfriend,will graduate,this coming June.
He gets up,in the morning,stokes the heat stove,AND the cook stove,fixes breakfast(his mom works 3:30- 11:0 am,) wakes his sister, then goes to school,and after school he works at the fishery farm (6 days a week),then comes home and cuts, and splits wood.
I'm fixing his chainsaw,because he's been using an axe ,since his step-dad left,and took the good saw,and the carts,with him!
Good kid,.and well mannered !!

Reactions: FredM and wjjones
1 - 20 of 29 Posts