Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a D17 gasser.

I'm new here as of yesterday. I have just one Allis, a D17 gasser which was given to me by a neighbor who was moving into a condo. He said I deserved it since I had kept it running all the years he owned it.
Along with the tractor I got a 2 bottom trailer plow make and year unknowen, a rear mounted AC field cultuvator which I believe parts for mounting it are missing(draw bar hook up), alsop there was a AC rear mounted scoop outfit, a set of 9' disk pull type I think are case brand uses hydrlics to close them for transport. and a Kelly front loader with the small bucket and a bigger snow bucket that attaches to the small one. The loader need some modifations to the mounting system to be able to be strong enoug to do any type of real work like moving dirt. Light weight Manure is moving is with in it's means.

The tractor it's self is in dire needs of some TLC. The worst of which is the exhuast manifold is about gone with huge holes in a couple of places, The hydrlics were gone(nonworking) when I got it do to a hole in the hose that goes to the lift cylinder in the rear end which I believe rubbed on the PTO shaft.
a spark plug is frozen in the head, just the one #2 I think I remember. Most of the metal is straight and rust hole free although there are a couple of holes in the fenders at the mount location. The only gauge that works is the AMP meter. the cable for the tac is broken.

Looking forward to getting this 1961 young lady looking & running like new.

:D Al

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Dad owned a few Allis Chambers. Starting with a model B which dad said was a preacher tractor since he could never as long as I can remember to get it to run very long on a Sunday. He also had a styled WC we used the mounted buzz rig on it in the early fall after it had skidded wood to the pile. In the late fall he had a two row mounted corn picker for it and it did plenty of corn picking. I remember the motor shrouding to keep the huskings out of every thing being a pain to remove to check the oil and sure enough a hired man ran her out.
Dad also had a wide front end WD with a front loader. it did the baling and all the manure removal. Latter dad got a WD which was supposed to have a 45 up grade kit in it to replace the motor wrecked WC. It was a strong tractor but I am not sure that it was as strong as a 45. Dad got rid of the WD with the loader and got the worst tractor I believe Allis ever built. A D14 that could barely get out of it's own way. If dad and I were plowing I could get dad stuck by spitting where his drive wheels were going to run.

In the latter farming years dad traded off all the Allis's for Fords.
You could see back in those good old days who was the best tractor dealer in the area. Just drive around and see what brands were being used. Most times the dealer would always have the part you needed or would even loan a tractor during the busy seasons of planting or harvesting when you broke down and needed to have the dealer fix it.
Dad really liked his Massey Harris tractors the best. but dad stopped buying them when the owner sold out and the new owner was such a cusser dad wouldn't send mom or my sisters there to buy parts.
:D Al

·
Registered
518 Posts
welcome alleyyooper thats nice lookin old d17 you have they were good tractor frnd of mine has 2 he still uses on his small farm all the old tractors are cool were few allises round here back in the day but lot pple used fords ollies n farmalls an masseys thy seemed last longer than the other dealers nan were closer good luck with yer d17 n hope you get it fived up way you want happy tractorin:thumbsup: :tractorsm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts