Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!! New to tractors and the forum. I have a 53’ jubilee that has been running fine until lately. First spark was sporadic then she died no spark. Finally figured out the points were wore. But not the contacts but the small pad the rubs on the distributor shaft! Only way i figured this was I could not adjust the gap to .025, maybe only .018. So i bent the points arm and set to .025 runs like a champ. (New points on the way) Is this common? Could someone of put in wrong set of points? How long should they last?
Second question is fuel filters/screens. So Mr Ford put in three screens, two in the petcock one tubular on top of petcock, one flat screen in the petcock and then another tubular screen where the fuel line enters the carburetor. Then a previous owner cut the fuel line and added a automotive in-line filter. Really…… isn’t this over kill for a gravity fuel system? Here in Arizona we don’t have much issue with rust or moisture so the screens have been clean along with the gas tank. But then the “butcher job” off cutting the line, adding two little hoses, hose clamps and then the metal canister filter, not to mention I can’t get the clamps tight enough to stop the seeping of gas. Just Ugly!! But is it necessary???

Thanks in advance
PapaSam

·
Super Moderator
9,939 Posts
Welcome to the forum PapaSam.

The inline fuel filter in a ford gravity feed fuel system is only a restriction to fuel flow. The inline fuel filters are fine for a unit with a fuel pump. Keep your fueling activities clean and water free.
I think you will find that the new points will come with a wee tube of grease to lube the shaft and the plastic piece that rides on the cam.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts