Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok anybody have any suggestions on what to check??

I started my boat with the muffler things on it.. water flowing through the hose fine..

the motor started up fine but no water is being pumped through the water jets.

Its the 4th of july weekend.. no way can i get it to a boat place to have it serviced any time soon..

any obvious things that i should check?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well sj its a fine time to check your motor out if you was planing on using it this weekend:hide: Just kidding my neighbor had that problem it was the rubber impeller on his all the blades broke off. I don't know if it was because of age or something got in there and ripped them off. But thats probably whats wrong with your too.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually jody, that impeller thingie went on me 2 years ago.. it must be a common problem.
i found a boat place that took it in and said id get it in 3-4 days or maybe tomorrow..
its in their hands now..

·
674 Posts
Before you go to alot of trouble, take those earmuffs off and set the lower unit in a tank or large garbage can and fill it ALL the way up. An impeller must be primed in order to pump water. They don't go bad very often unless very old or if you run the motor out of the water.
Most of the old outboards I own have trouble pumping water when I first get them running. The trick is getting water to the impeller so it can pump. I have never replaced a impeller on a 35 johnson but did on a 55hp. Was not a hard job at all.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well all the books I have, says to change the impeller every year. Seems a little over kill to me, but it could be bad. Have you run the motor out of the water before? It does not take long at all to toast it if you have. Same if you have been running skinny water. Nothing eats them up like a big mouth full of silty water. How long did you run it with the muff's on? mine have always taken a bit to get the water full before it starts coming out. And last, Do you have enough valume? Is it "running out" of water?

I am betting it is eather one of these, OR something has taking your cooling passages for there home, and may be blocking things.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have changed a water pump impeller in an 89 25hp merc. Not too complicated actually or expensive. $25 worth of peace of mind.

Only advice is to pay close attention during the disassembly process and make sure you don't lose any parts.

Have a look here, some very good articles.

http://www.brokeboats.com/cooling.html

Good luck.
SnowMower

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another quick and easy thing to try is put the muffs on her and crank the water as high as possible.

If you don't see any water coming out of the pee-hole (technical term), then it is clogged up along the pipe somewhere.

Again, good luck.

SnowMower

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi

it was the impeller.. the boat place called me saturday (the next day) They replaced it and it worked fine..
got some good on the water time.. till Monday on the lake.. the power trim stuck 'on' in the down position.

I ended up pulling a fuse and bringing it back to that shop.

The guy showed me the 2 switches; one on the throttle, one on the back side of the motor that control the power trim.

We pulled the throttle trim and it still stayed on in the down position.. So disconnected the trim on the side of the motor. That fixed it..
We plugged it back in and it somehow reset. So back to the lake i went and as soon as i got it reloaded in the water.. the down power trim went on and stayed on. I disconnected the motor side switch...

I will probably order a new switch.. the strange thing is, i always use the power trim on the throttle. The other power trim button is on the side of the motor and ive probably used that button 10 times in the past 8 years... so if the switch is disconnected i do not care.. it just seems strange that the throttle switch did not break but the switch i used 10 times broke...

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Glad to hear you was able to get it fixed and get some time on the water. Sorry to hear about power trim if it isn't one thing its another.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts