Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD X324 with about 900 hours on the unit.

the transaxle, a K58, is making no longer moving the mower. After checking belts, pulleys and idlers, it appears the old girl is dying.

Is it feasible to upgrade to a k-66, or would it be more prudent to try installing a kit to repair the existing unit?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Howdy woundedknees, welcome to the tractor forum.

There are conversion kits for this purpose. See attached. Considering the price, I think I would try a kit in the K58.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy woundedknees, welcome to the tractor forum.

There are conversion kits for this purpose. See attached. Considering the price, I think I would try a kit in the K58.

Thanks for the response... Proud of the kit, aren't they?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2billt, you were spot on. I should have checked that first!
I was able to accomplish the job without dropping the transaxle or pulling the seat and fender deck.

On a somewhat related note, are there any better quality cooling fans available for the K58, rather than JD OEM?
I replaced the existing fan due to the blades bowing into the path of the drive belt and shearing off.
The OEM direct replacement I obtained did the same thing shortly after I got the 324 reassembled!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm glad you found the problem.
I know that the fans are subject to collecting debris and cleaning schedule should be more frequent than not.
Shimming may be useful if the blades are needing additional clearance from the pulley alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts