Tractor Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Nice but I see that you left out Volvo.......LOL.........The company I drive for leases all their tractors and trailers.....They made the mistake one go around to lease Volvos......They only did that 1 time......They were junk.......100K miles per set of injectors and 150K on a turbo was the norm with them......I put about 650K on mine in about 5 years and went through 6 sets of injectors, 3 turbos, 2 DPFs, had the 7th injector replaced 2 times, the rear drive axel and pumpkin replaced due to the stub drive shaft between the drive axels failing in a big way, and that is just the big ticket items........
Volvo had a "Guaranteed Buyback" program that helped them sell trucks for a long. Once that program ended it was more cost effective to just full-service lease because of the maintenance problems you mentioned dropped their trade-in values in the toilet. Bought lots Freightliners and Internationals, but the last 100 lot I bought were KW's with MX13's. Divers complained about a lack of power, but what don't drivers complain about? They weren't paying the fuel bill, so they didn't get to vote.

Never could put a deal together with Volvo. They were an arrogant bunch, for no more reliable than their engines performed. You hit the nail on the head... Injectors, turbos, and their emissions system are more prone to failure than anybody's. Pricey truck to buy once you run the total cost of ownership #'s. Most cost effective OTR truck to run right now is a T680 with a MX13. B10 engine, great fuel economy, good trade in value, and PACCAR Finance will put together some really amazing finance packages on fleet purchases if you're will to work your delivery schedule to help them keep the build slots at Chillicothe filled. MHC is their biggest Dealer and they are some really good people that know how to take care of a fleet customer.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Did PACCAR finally make an engine that has some guts? The first 3 years after I retired from the Navy I had my own truck, a beautiful 2001 379 Pete with a C-16 Cat and an 15 speed trans 370 rear gears and the whole 9 yards loved that truck, anyway one of the companies that I leased to was Decker Truck Lines out of Ft Dodge, IA and they always had Petes with the Cummins in them but they got a batch in 2011 I think that had the PACCAR in them...Even with a 13 speed they did not pull very well at all.....To the point that JX Equipment took them back.....LOL

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Did PACCAR finally make an engine that has some guts? The first 3 years after I retired from the Navy I had my own truck, a beautiful 2001 379 Pete with a C-16 Cat and an 15 speed trans 370 rear gears and the whole 9 yards loved that truck, anyway one of the companies that I leased to was Decker Truck Lines out of Ft Dodge, IA and they always had Petes with the Cummins in them but they got a batch in 2011 I think that had the PACCAR in them...Even with a 13 speed they did not pull very well at all.....To the point that JX Equipment took them back.....LOL
Nope..... But by the time Uncle Joe gets through and diesel is $4+ a gallon, you'll be seeing fleets running a lot more MX13's on the road. The last ones I spec'd out with auto-shifts were getting 8.5 MPG, at 70MPH max governor, and grossing 80K. I'm hearing the T680 Gen 5's with the MX13, and auto-shift are averaging in the mid-9's

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nope..... But by the time Uncle Joe gets through and diesel is $4+ a gallon, you'll be seeing fleets running a lot more MX13's on the road. The last ones I spec'd out with auto-shifts were getting 8.5 MPG, at 70MPH max governor, and grossing 80K. I'm hearing the T680 Gen 5's with the MX13, and auto-shift are averaging in the mid-9's

Wow......Right now I drive a 2020 Freightliner Cascadia with a DD-15 and the 12 speed auto trans.......We pull mainly 48 foot and 53 foot refers at about 65 to 70K average GVW......I average about 8 to 8.2 over all. We are set to 67 MPH for governor....And they don't have any balls at all......LOL

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Wow......Right now I drive a 2020 Freightliner Cascadia with a DD-15 and the 12 speed auto trans.......We pull mainly 48 foot and 53 foot refers at about 65 to 70K average GVW......I average about 8 to 8.2 over all. We are set to 67 MPH for governor....And they don't have any balls at all......LOL
We're headed back to 2005 and trucking company survival is going to be all about fuel economy when # 2 breaks $4 a gallon next summer. Right now, the biggest problem is we can't even get all that cheap Chinese box freight off the boats in L.A. and Long Beach.

If they popped that governor speed up to 70 MPH, those DD-15's would drop into the mid- 7's. They are fuel hogs with anything other than a "Swift" governor setting....

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Pussies drive automatic trucks anyway...lol
You're living in a cave..... 80% of all class 8's sold last year were auto-shift transmissions. It's not like you earned a Masters Degree when you learned to shift a 13-speed Road Ranger from 30 years ago. Given enough bananas, I could train a monkey to do it in 6 months.

The Board of Directors of big trucking companies today can't afford a big manly stud "yanking on his stick" and getting 5 MPG any more. At 3-4% net profit margins, they come out way ahead in net revenue having a 120 LBS woman, driving an auto-shift, and getting in the mid-8's. Fuel is 30% + of any trucking companies cost, second only to driver wages/benefits. The days of 600HP and 5MPG have been over 15 years.

The difference between 5MPG and 8.5 MPG on a OTR truck running 140,000 miles per year is $31,700 per year in fuel savings. Warner runs 8,000 tractors x $31,700 = $25.3M right straight to the bottom line with the advent of those "pussy" auto-shifts.......

Do you figure when those other dinosaurs disappeared, did they all go at once, or did they just slowly head into the sunset in the west bound Monfort lane of I-70 hammering a jacked up 3408 with a 3-click splitter box Fuller behind it, and rolling black smoke out 10" straight stacks??;)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'll stick with my 13's and you can drive the others... I see that now (at least here in Michigan), you cannot drive a standard transmission truck unless you have an endorsement and prove you can.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
jacked up 3408
It's a 3406 Bob, Not a 3408. 3406 NZ to be exact and a Roadranger. Use the correct nomenclature. Far as 'rolling coal, not really as it's not buttoned up. All stock. Hell, my Kubota's will roll more coal than the truck will. The Caterpillar NZ series is the most sought after engine there is. Caterpillar overbuilt the engine and other than breaking exhaust manifold studs (the 3 piece exhaust manifold's expansion and contraction rate tend so break studs), it's a bulletproof engine. Guy down the road has a 1693 in a freightliner conventional. That is a sweet engine but heavy. The 1693 was originally designed as a locomotive engine. Very expensive to work on as well. He has a twin stick (4x4) behind it. First tractor I owned was a Kenworth cabin over with a V8 2 stroke Detroit (318 double breasted Yamaha) and a 4x4. Made so much power, you had to downshift to go over a cigarette butt.

Said before and will maintain my stance and opinion that emissions controls and dummy transmission I don't want. Nothing changes on that score. You won't find any automatics around here. Farmers don't buy them.

Not living in a cave, just old school far as engines and transmissions go. Not into servo clutches and all that stuff. if it don't have 3 pedals, I'm not interested and I'll leave it at that. Like my non emissions tractors, I plan on keeping the Barnyard Buick with the NZ until I pass and it also has Neway underslung air suspension as well.

I get to drive the new fangled auto shifts infrequently when I shuttle trucks for my buddy that owns 54 of them that are all leased to Fed-Ex. All Freightliner bubble nosed Cascadia's with 2 pedals and a selector on the dash, disc brakes and all. Not impressed and would never consider owning one. Anything with a blue tank cap don't impress me.

·
Super Moderator
10,029 Posts
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with these three tractors? I have about a 5 acre hobby farm.. I want a tractor mostly just cutting grass, moving stuff with around with a loader.. I'd buy a bush hog for the first two, the 2016 has a mower deck. any thoughts on these tractors? Reliability, known issues, power?
also, how does the pricing look? reasonable for used, or is this covid pricing?

2010 JOHN DEERE 3038e ->$24,999
1999 John Deere 790 >$19,900
2016 JOHN DEERE 1025r ->$18,250
Howdy Joe,
It's been almost two weeks, have you made a decision or a purchase? Sounds like you got some good advise, until the post was highjacked and turned into a heated discussion on highway haul trucks?!?
I hope that hasn't discouraged you from future participation.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Howdy Joe,
It's been almost two weeks, have you made a decision or a purchase? Sounds like you got some good advise, until the post was highjacked and turned into a heated discussion on highway haul trucks?!?
I hope that hasn't discouraged you from future participation.
Bill you have the patience of a Saint, but some times I think you just sit back at your monitor and enjoy the freak show with a big smile. This thread fell of the rails 11 days ago when Sidecar started that post with "My Philosophy".... :)

That's like sittin' in a bar right now, at last call, and asking out loud "How 'bout that Biden?" Next thing you know your thinking "Geez... Somebody call the cops" :cool:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts