Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts about these? The GT245 is now $4770 ad the Craftsman is $2520.

I heard that maybe the craftsman has inferior bearings and such. Has anyonw found this to be true?

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Jason,

A lot more detailed information and questions will keep this from appearing like a troll.....

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by jasonphillipstx
I suppose my real question is...

Is the JD worth the extra money?
That's a good question...It's a matter of perception...John Deere has a reputation of fine quality and long term durability...whereas Craftsman doesn't come close to holding that kind of reputation, it's a dependable tractor that will give you years of service..

It's kinda like comparing a Cadillac and a Chevrolet...they'll both get you to where you want to go....but one will get you there in style.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Does the GT245 have hydrolics? That is one thing I really wish the Craftsman had but doesn't.

Jason, I'm getting the impression you are leaning toward the JD. I might suggest you sit on them, and if you get a chance, drive them. See how they feel under your seat.

Good Luck.

SnowMower

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally I wanted a John Deere with a Front End Loader and belly mower. That takes you to a $15,000 bill. Even a used Deere configured that way was over $10,000. I couldn't afford that. Then I started looking at John Deeres that I could afford.

The Lawn tractors that have the John Deere name at Home Depot are not the same quality as the more expensive models. I believe that Deere buys them from someone else (MTD?). Deere claims that there better models are designed with 40% more durability. I believe that.

When I compared the Sears garden tractors with the lower priced John Deeres, I did not see a big difference. I believe that I got the most tractor for my money. I am handy and can fix most things that might break. I had my "Monkey" Wards 10 Hp for almost 30 years.

It is true that the bigger John Deere's (Compact Utility Size) hold their value extremely well. My brother has a 755 with a 72" belly mower and a front end loader. It is worth almost as much as he paid for it almost 20 years ago. That is great. I don't know how the smaller Deere's do over time. I suspect they do not do as well as their big brother's.

All in all it is a decision of money. Is the Deere worth the added cost? I opted for a bigger Craftsman rather than settle for a Deere with a smaller engine and mower deck. So far, I am happy. with that. (Now if I can just figure out how to buy or make a FEL for my DGT6000, I would be really happy!)

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Originally posted by PaulB2868
Originally I wanted a John Deere with a Front End Loader and belly mower. That takes you to a $15,000 bill. Even a used Deere configured that way was over $10,000. I couldn't afford that. Then I started looking at John Deeres that I could afford.

The Lawn tractors that have the John Deere name at Home Depot are not the same quality as the more expensive models. I believe that Deere buys them from someone else (MTD?)
The Deeres sold at Home Depot are made by Deere and not MTD. The "L" series are built in a different factory than the rest of the garden and lawn tractors, the same factory that used to make the Sabre and Scotts machines. They are designed to compete with the less expensive machines offered by Sears, Walmart, etc. and in my opinion, you are right in that they do not represent the quality and durability of the machines Deere made 25 years ago. But Deere made a decision to offer a product line that was more affordable, which required them to be built to a lower price. Having said all that, I bought my Deere 316 in 1979 for $2880, roughly 3/4 of the cost of my new fullsize 1/2 ton pick-up truck bought in 1978. So if the tractor was worth 3/4 of a truck in 1979, and assuming that I could get a similar quality machine today for the same ratio (3/4 the price of a new full size 2 wheel drive truck), I'd be looking at $12,000+/-, which would easily buy me a Deere tractor that meets or more likely vastly exceeds what my old 316 can do. Is the Deere GT245 worth almost twice what the Craftsman GT5000? There is no one answer to that question. Some folks buy the Eddie Bauer edition Jeep Cherokee, some buy the stripped down Wrangler with cloth top. They are both 4x4 Sports utility Vehicles. One offers more operator comfort, one offers more utility. The Craftsman offers a lot of utilitarian tractor for the money, with some support from Sears offering attachments. The Deere GT245 offers (in my opinion) more operator comfort, what could be argued a more durable frame and overall construction, and unrivalled support in parts and attachments. I can still get parts for 25 year old machines from Deere, something Sears is not known for. Since I personally tend to keep machines for decades, I'd probably go for the Deere. Someone that has a job requiring long distance moves every few years and wants to avoid the hassle of shipping a tractor from place to place, or selling it , to try to regain the large investment made, would be MUCH better off to buy the Craftsman, enjoy it for 4-6 years, leave it with the house for the next owner and get another at the next house. Someone that also has a need for 2 or more machines would be saving a LOT of money by getting the Craftsman machine(s). My examples are probably toward the extreme, but all manner of scenarios can be devised to show where each machine has a place as a better choice. It's great to live in a country where we can enjoy so many choices. Just stop and think of communist Europe, where untill very recently, a Yugo was considered a GOOD car:lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
a Yugo was considered a GOOD car

Well thats where I draw the line......A Yugo is a great car.........much better than any Crapsman L & G tractor could dream of being............I had one, one time, paid a whopping $40.00 for it and drove it almost all the way home without a problem......matter of fact I probably put on over 50 miles on that Yugo most of which was all trouble free........but then the real troubles started........:furious: :furious:

I feel about the same with Crapsman products.......While the JD L series may be made to compete with the big box discounted brands of L & G tractors, I just find a lot of room for much improvement in both the deer and Crapsman models......especially the Crapsman line......Where Deere may have cut corners to save a buck is in areas where its not a big deal, but the overall quality of a Crapsman as compared to Deere is great. Take their hood and the way it hinges.........I liked ot have bent one the other day I was looking at them outside of a sears store.......To me it would not take all that much to have a rolling rattle trap, if indeed it did not rattle fromthe git go.....can you tell I am certainly not a Sears fan by anya means.........been stung too many times with their junk to even consider giving them a chance anymore.......Look at their sun canopy attachment system and how its made....as compared to a Deer or other brand........I have seen more heavy duty fixtures and tube used on store displays than what is used on Sears garden equipment..........Then they have to put those big labels pointing to the fact it has a cast iron front axle......wow.........like the rest of the machine don't mean a thing, its all in the front axle made of cast iron.......Sears tractors just does not cut it.........and there is absolutely no comparison with the GT series of JD and the best top model Crapsman tractor.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Chipmaker

I dont think I have ever seen a Crapsman.

who makes that brand?

Where can I see one?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Probably in the Kmart lawn and gadren center very shortly! If you can;'t wait that long I would suggest Sears Rippoff and Co..They are the retailers, as to who makes it.......who ever gives the lowest bid......

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Chipmaker
Probably in the Kmart lawn and gadren center very shortly! If you can;'t wait that long I would suggest Sears Rippoff and Co..They are the retailers, as to who makes it.......who ever gives the lowest bid......
Hey Chippy,
Why do you have such a hard on for Craftsman products?? I purchased a Craftsman GT when I sold my Case 446's and I think it's a pretty nice Garden Tractor...it certainly doesn't compare to my New Holland 1715 either...then again who would expect it too...I don't think it compares to the Deere GT line either...but then again, who would expect it too??

However, it is close to the Deere line sold at Home Depot though......:D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Close is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades..........I just have not had what I would call service life or reliability from any of the line of products.......
Heck even the test I did on that hose nozzle and hose earlier this year that I had promise for is gone south. Hose has been replaced numerous times and I finally asked for my money back but my el cheapo Colorfasts and Swans have been going year after year..........the nozzle went south about 3 months ago as well...but my el cheapo Big Lots are still ticking.....

I might also add:
I had remarked to the wife one time that the laser measuring devices and the laser levels are pretty darn neat.........and she bought me a laser device for my birthday earlier this month..yes, you guessed it, she bought a Sears laser level for me........It has since been returned as it quit working within a week..........now maybe thats a fluke, which I am sure it is, but it went back just the same..........Am I bit with the affliction to buy whatever tool or item sears sells that is bound to fail.....while others have good luck.....I think not.......am I overly hard on a tool or other items........no, I take care of my stuff.........so you see Sears does not set a good image in my mind when it comes to longevity or quality any more....Once again my house is Crapsman free and this time for sure it will remain that way........

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
That's interesting Chippy, you've had nothing but bad luck with Sears products and I've had the opposite....Most everything I've gotten from Sears has held up pretty well. From hand tools (gotta love the warranty) to a 30+ year old dehumidifier....go figure:confused:

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Sears Rippoff and Co??

I have never heard of them either, are they based in your location only or nation wide?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Hey Bob Villa Fans!!

The thread asked "Anyone have any thoughts about these? The GT245 is now $4770 ad the Craftsman is $2520."

Chip had one (which I agree with whole heartedly) He as I and others are willing to pay more to get more!! I'm glad You are happy with Sears/and other mass marketers products but no matter how hard you try to believe otherwise, Lemons will never become Oranges!! Pun intended!!

To jasonphillipstx who asked a legitimate question, buy as much as you can Afford and YES there is a difference and it's there for anyone who cares to realistically see it!!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Archdean

I agree them JD lemon and green machines sure are over priced for what they can do.

jasonphillipstx

Better go look at an Orange Husqvarna or better yet one Cherry CRAFTSMAN DGT6000 and take a good close look at it and at what you want to do verses how much money you want to part with. (Just tugging on the chain of others a bit here).

If you are like most JD owners you would want the machine to have a high resale value when you dump it before it starts to give you problems, this is the reason why they worry about it.

If your like most Craftsman owners we use these machines until there is nothing left of them, then toss them and get another, we as a frugal class do not fret over if it has resale value, but I for one do not sell my tools anyway. We also know up front there is going to be needed maintenance down the road and are ready for it. You have to know what your looking at and what you want and only you know that. Heck for 2200.00 I will toss the GT5000 and get another for the cost of the JD GT.

Is the JD GT worth twice the money? To me NO I am a poor man and the Craftsman is a poor mans machine that has great value for the dollar, but yes if you like it and are happy, that is all that matters. None of this bull on this forum matters, its all skewed in one direction or the other by personal feelings and emotional out of control rants so you can see where you will have to weed through the info and cut out the good and toss the bad.

Good luck in you quest if in fact you are looking.

Bob

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Bob/MGM,

I am an Orange owner (kubota) 2 in fact which is neither here nor there!!

I must tell you that was a great post with more fact than fiction!! And you answered the posters original question with a pointed clarity no one could possibly miss!!

A valid rational from a knowledgeable Eyes wide open Craftsman owner!! Should be a sticky in the L/G forum!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
So Crapsman is considered to be a disposable machine..........cool I learned something today..........

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
You could have predicted this type of response when this thread started. Everyone vying for position with their particular machine. It's kinda entertaining:furious:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
If the Deere is a little to high priced and you want quality check out the Cub Cadet 2523 they can be had for a little under $4000.00 and are built well.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts