Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hv a 1986 950 that has been running great the last few days while I was using it pretty hard to move dirt with my front end loader. No problems till I tried starting it after 3days sitting. It will start in neutral, but when I try and engage the gear while clutch is pushed all the way down it grinds the gears. It will start while in gear but moves the tractor when doing so. So basically I hv no clutch action. This is a new problem and no pre indicators a problem was near. Tractor runs as usual, but the. Clutch issue just popped up. The clutch seems easier to depress for sure, but no odd sounds coming from that area. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Good Morning Tom,

Your clutch may be stuck, although that would be unusual for just 3 days sitting idle. Tie the clutch pedal down for a few days and see if it frees up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is the clutch adjusted properly? Could be bent adjusting rod, bent/broken throw out fork or roll pins, pressure plate failure. Is it a single stage clutch? If not the external adjustment rod...tractor needs to be split to access the clutch

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the clutch adjusted properly? Could be bent adjusting rod, bent/broken throw out fork or roll pins, pressure plate failure. Is it a single stage clutch? If not the external adjustment rod...tractor needs to be split to access the clutch
I know the outside adjustment rod is normal , it is a two stage clutch according to manufacture maintenance book. I was doing a lot of clutching during the hard work out few days before as It was moving lots of dirt and rock. I'm going to remove the inspection plate on a side of cluth pedal area to hv a look see. It had sat out under a tarp for the winter and I had forgot to keep cluth pedal depressed. But it ran great all summer with about 50 hrs out on it until this happened. I'll keep updated on my progress and findings of issues. Thx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the outside adjustment rod is normal , it is a two stage clutch according to manufacture maintenance book. I was doing a lot of clutching during the hard work out few days before as It was moving lots of dirt and rock. I'm going to remove the inspection plate on a side of cluth pedal area to hv a look see. It had sat out under a tarp for the winter and I had forgot to keep cluth pedal depressed. But it ran great all summer with about 50 hrs out on it until this happened. I'll keep updated on my progress and findings of issues. Thx
That's 50hrs if current use, the tactor itself has a bit over 2200 hrs total

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I followed everyone's suggestions and tried the clutch pedal down for 2days. It was still an issue , so I was driving it another area to work on it as it was in the field. I was.in 1st high and slammed.on brakes on a hard surface with the clutch pushed in and it broke free. Running normal again, but I will probably split this winter to place entire new clutch assembly. I hv a very busy summer.next year and dont need any of this to.occur again.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I followed everyone's suggestions and tried the clutch pedal down for 2days. It was still an issue , so I was driving it another area to work on it as it was in the field. I was.in 1st high and slammed.on brakes on a hard surface with the clutch pushed in and it broke free. Running normal again, but I will probably split this winter to place entire new clutch assembly. I hv a very busy summer.next year and dont need any of this to.occur again.
Thanks everyone!
Sorry, late to reply here. Your Yanmar tractor in JD green paint is easy to get the clutch unstuck. There is a slot someplace to get a screw driver in there and push the plate apart.

Yanmar steering shaft repair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To all that gave contributed to my solving of my cluth issue, THANK YOU!. I appreciate the info sites you offered to learn repair on my deere. I had answered an email from someone in the thread this morning a out how many actual hours were on my 950 and I told them I would check. It's at 2232 hrs right now. I'm sure it said moderator in the tagline somewhere. So sorry I forgot who it was, and I cant find that particular section of the thread. I'm a diy guy, but sometimes find myself to be not knowing where I put shit guy to! Lol

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
To all that gave contributed to my solving of my cluth issue, THANK YOU!. I appreciate the info sites you offered to learn repair on my deere. I had answered an email from someone in the thread this morning a out how many actual hours were on my 950 and I told them I would check. It's at 2232 hrs right now. I'm sure it said moderator in the tagline somewhere. So sorry I forgot who it was, and I cant find that particular section of the thread. I'm a diy guy, but sometimes find myself to be not knowing where I put shit guy to! Lol
WOW. Amazing the amount of hours on that Yanmar 3T90 engine !

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You need to put a block of wood between the pedal and cowl to hold the clutch in disengagement when it's parked Some tractors have a welded on hook for that, some don't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to put a block of wood between the pedal and cowl to hold the clutch in disengagement when it's parked Some tractors have a welded on hook for that, some don't.
I will probably use something more secure to hv in depressed position than a block of wood. I live on the Oregon coast and wood get slimy in the winter and I have a grip issue in the winters with my hands. Ill.hook up a metal catch of some sort that I can throw in my tool box I'm gtn rdy to attach. Thx

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
One of my long gone Kubota's (I've owned at least 10 now), had a hood welded to the underhood upright that you could hook the clutch pedal down with. My old long gone Massey was the same way. The 2 I own now have no dry clutches, the have multiplate wet travelling clutches.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I will probably use something more secure to hv in depressed position than a block of wood. I live on the Oregon coast and wood get slimy in the winter and I have a grip issue in the winters with my hands. Ill.hook up a metal catch of some sort that I can throw in my tool box I'm gtn rdy to attach. Thx
And you'll need blocks at the wheels to prevent it from rolling down hill. Don't use the brake lock because the brakes would freeze solid too. Wheel chucks will help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts