Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My john deere 5303 sputtered and died the other day, acting like it ran out of fuel. The fuel tank is full. I bled the fuel filter and it was a little dirty at first. I bled the system and finally got it to start up while the fuel return line was still loose. As soon as I tightened it down, the tractor died and I have not been able to get it to start since. Any ideas?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The rubber fuel line from tank to filter may be cracked. This would allow air to suck back in. I would remove line from bottom of tank and make sure a good flow is coming from tank. Then replace the rubber line and replace the fuel filter. Then bleed it out all the way to the injection pump. Loosen the line at the pump coming from the filter and then pump primer until all air is gone. Tighten that fitting and then loosen a couple of the fuel lines to the injectors. Crank engine until fuel is seen coming from injector fittings. Then tighten those fittings. Engine should then start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank y'all very much! I will check those fuel lines today, and see if I can get a new replacement line for the tank. I opened the tank drain and it was clogged up and dirty, still not flowing very well, I assume the fuel line might be the same way.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Sounds like you found “a” problem..
Loosening the return line and was able to get it to run is indicative of more problems, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there..
Keep us posted.. good luck..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I will! I haven’t had a chance to mess with it the last couple days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts