Tractor Forum banner

John Deere 4400 - RPMs drop a lot / stall going forward. Backward is fine

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  davesharp.ds 
#1 ·
I have a JD 4400 that is new to me.

All the hydraulics work, the PTO works fine with a bush hog, engine runs just fine.

If I go in reverse, no problem.

If I go forward, the RPMs drop a lot and the tractor will eventually stall. If I let off the pedal it revs right back up.

This is *only* going forward. Any ideas?

I assume it's not stuck brakes (I would think reverse would act the same if this was the case)?

This happens with an attachment , without, with PTO engaged and without.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I would still check the brakes. Just two weeks ago I was going to get my dad's 4400 ready for winter and couldn't hardly move it forward without it killing. Yet it would still back up. I thought to check the brakes because when I let off the hydro pedal, it felt like it was a positive stop. Since it is a hydro, the brake pedals really never get used. I found that. Where the lever shafts enters the brake housings on each side was seizing. I disconnected the linkage from the levers, and kept spraying penetrating oil at the point the levers enter the brake housings, all while, with a hammer, I tapped the levers forward and backwards till they freed up. Because the brakes are rarely used, and there is no grease works at this point, penetrating oil or a good spray lube will need to be applied from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.