Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
See you have had a couple dozen hits on this post but no replies. Wonder if it could be others including myself aren't exactly sure what you mean. These models have a hydrostatic steering system. There is a valve assy attached to the steering column.

Here is something I found in an old service manual that might be of help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding to my post. I am sorry my request was not as clear as it should have been. The information you sent is excellent! I now know that I need to disconnect the drive shaft to lower the unit out of the tractor. Any other advice you have will be appreciated. Thank you. Thom Mcknight

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Glad the info was helpful. Sorry I can't be of further help as it has been too many yrs since I had my 318 and never had any problems that require me to deal with the steering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One thing to look at first is the bottom of the steering column and determine if you have a 4 or 5 port column. The plumbing is different on the two. With the 5 port system the hydraulic system use does not stop the ability to steer while in use. It appears the earlier models Jane the 4 port and later models have the 5 port. I converted my JD317 to JD318 power steering. The 5 port is much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information. With the help of a friend a new steering column has been installed. It wasn't the easiest repair, but it is finished with a column the does not leak and works perfectly. Thanks to all who advised.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing to look at first is the bottom of the steering column and determine if you have a 4 or 5 port column. The plumbing is different on the two. With the 5 port system the hydraulic system use does not stop the ability to steer while in use. It appears the earlier models Jane the 4 port and later models have the 5 port. I converted my JD317 to JD318 power steering. The 5 port is much better.
Do you have a diagram of what lines of each port goes to I am converting my 317

1 - 8 of 8 Posts