John Deere 318 Power steering column

Discussion in 'John Deere' started by thom4876, Jan 3, 2013.

1. thom4876

thom4876 New Member

Jan 3, 2013
    I need to remove the power steering column from my John Deere 318 tractor. Any advice on the best way to proceed with what appears to be a complicated task?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    See you have had a couple dozen hits on this post but no replies. Wonder if it could be others including myself aren't exactly sure what you mean. These models have a hydrostatic steering system. There is a valve assy attached to the steering column.

Here is something I found in an old service manual that might be of help.

Attached Files:

3. thom4876

thom4876 New Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you for responding to my post. I am sorry my request was not as clear as it should have been. The information you sent is excellent! I now know that I need to disconnect the drive shaft to lower the unit out of the tractor. Any other advice you have will be appreciated. Thank you. Thom Mcknight

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Glad the info was helpful. Sorry I can't be of further help as it has been too many yrs since I had my 318 and never had any problems that require me to deal with the steering.

5. JALaswellSr

JALaswellSr New Member

Aug 21, 2011
    One thing to look at first is the bottom of the steering column and determine if you have a 4 or 5 port column. The plumbing is different on the two. With the 5 port system the hydraulic system use does not stop the ability to steer while in use. It appears the earlier models Jane the 4 port and later models have the 5 port. I converted my JD317 to JD318 power steering. The 5 port is much better.

6. thom4876

thom4876 New Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you for the information. With the help of a friend a new steering column has been installed. It wasn't the easiest repair, but it is finished with a column the does not leak and works perfectly. Thanks to all who advised.