John Deere 1010C Loader

Discussion in 'John Deere' started by k1burner, Aug 23, 2009.

1. k1burner

k1burner New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    You will have to excuse my ignorance, I understand farm tractors and airplanes but know nothing about crawlers, other than having operated them a few hours. I am looking at a John Deere 1010 Loader crawler. What can you folks tell me about them, good bad and ugly. This particular one has a winch and what I would guess to be a 3/4 to 1 yard bucket on the front.

Weight as configured?

Current owner says one lag runs faster than the other (drifts when going straight) My question is how difficult is it to change the steering clutches and the cost to do such a thing? Parts or to have professionally done?

What are these worth as far as a range with it running (not smoking) fair paint, needing a steering clutch job, gas engine?

How does this machine compare to a first generation JD350?

Thanks for any help you can provide, since I don't know about crawlers I cannot help but I know airplanes, and farm tractors if anyone has questions I can return the favor with.

Mark

2. MFreund

MFreund New Member

May 1, 2008
    I have no experience with crawlers but I have heard they are very expensive to repair driveline issues. That said I would love to have a 1010 loader crawler.

Here is a link to Deereparts and there is a PDF file you can download of the parts manual. Then you could find out what parts cost.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

The first generation xx10 series had troubles with the cylinder liners, not as bad a issue with the gas motors vs the diesel. How much are you going to use it.? As a farm or recreational tractor the steering would be something you could live with. As a business tractor not a chance.

Green magazine had a feature on the 1010 series in the August 2009 issue with production numbers and model breakdowns. I looked at their websight and the do not have the article on there. I have the magazine but my brother has it. We pass magazines back and forth.

I think it would be a great piece of history to preserve. Could you get some pictures ??:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009

3. k1burner

k1burner New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    1010c pictures

here are a couple pictures....

Attached Files:

4. k1burner

k1burner New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    1010c

lets try this again

Attached Files:

5. k1burner

k1burner New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    1010c pics

wish I could attach multiple files in one post

6. k1burner

k1burner New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    1010c

maybe

Attached Files:

7. k1burner

k1burner New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    1010c

yet another

Attached Files:

8. k1burner

k1burner New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    1010c loader

last one I promise

Attached Files:

9. urednecku

urednecku New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SWEET!!
    One could have "loads" of fun with that....
    Good luck, wish I could help.

10. k1burner

k1burner New Member

Mar 25, 2009
    1010C

so what would you guess its worth, supposedly runs well but pulls to one side......... Am not sure if I want to run away or overgross the trailer and drag it to the house to play......

11. urednecku

urednecku New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Sorry, wish I could be more help. A google search, this is the only one I found
    http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/263619
    (Just to give you an idea.) I think it would depend on what you are planning to do with it, how much you would put into it.
    As for fixing it yourself, also several questions..if you feel you could fix it yourself, and how much time and money you could afford to spend on it.

Good luck!!

12. MFreund

MFreund New Member

May 1, 2008
    You could bring it to my house and we could find something to move!!! ;) It looks good to me!!!

13. Live Oak

Live Oak New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The 1010 was a first attempt at a track loader/dozer. They were not very good machines and a real pain in the ass to work on. The 350 series was better but not by much in my opinion. The HLR transmission had the right idea but poor design.

If one side of the loader will not turn, chances are the seals in the brake drum well are leaking and oil has contaminated the brake band. You will have to open it up for a look. Could be just out of adjustment.

The machine looks to be in overall good condition. Might make for a good restoration project.

What condition are the bottom rollers and drive sprockets in? Best to have at least a half hour operation session and test out everything on the machine to see what works and what needs repair. These things can be very expensive to repair even if you do the work yourself.

14. jetdog

jetdog New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    JD 1010C

K1 Burner:

Strange as this may sound, I too am looking at an old JD 1010C as a rebuild project . More importantly I am working on a HGS Cat-II/IIIa Manual for our DA-900ExEASy.......yes I am a corporate pilot myself! (10 type-ratings but on Falcons the past few years). Hope the A&P will help with this little old dozer. Looks a lot like your pics, but no ROPs, winch, and is a diesel.

Sounds like we have a lot in common.....wishing we were wrenching on an old implement while we are sitting at FL430 programming an FMS!

I just rebuilt a JD 4020, MF50C, and a Rhino FL15 Mag the past 3 months. Now eyeing an old JD1010C that's been sitting at a neighboring ranch for at least a few decades. But it looks like it's all there, but was wondering about product (parts) support, etc. While my expereince has generally been on MF and David Brown farm tractors, this will be my first go with something on tracks and I only have about 48-hours total running a dozer back in college. So I am a little concerned about getting lost if I have to get too far away from the engine and into the drivetrain.

I too would like to know what it's approximate weight for transport to our barn/shop.

Give me an e-mail to jo.giles@shell.com when you have a chance. "Jetdog"