Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy I did a dumb thing today hit a Tree with MY JD X485 and the Tab on the Bottom right rear broke off. Well the JD Xenoy hood doesn't seem as strong as advertised. Nothing else broke though no damage to the grill or anything else. Well being that I bought the tractor last summer I decided to go a head and buy a new hood with stickers for $410.00. In some ways I wish JD stayed with a metal hood or at least put a metal subframe underneath the whole hood.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Hate to

hear that there is nothing worst then to do some damage on a new car, truck or tractor.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Sergeant, if you can give me the serial # and year of your machine; I can do some checking and I might be able to beat that price if you would like.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Chief thanks for the offer.But already order it .

Jody I always warned my wife about her doing something like that and I end up being the one to do it.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Thats where a front bumper would have helped.I was going to put one on my LX277 but I just do not like the idea of having to put the extension on the exaust and pointing it down on the grass.John Deere never did have metal hood they were fiber glass and the fiber even showed in the early ones.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
That is not a bad price. The hood lists for $451.00 under part # AM132689, HOOD, M142202 CARTONED. I could have saved you maybe $5 or $10.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Though I don't know how fast you were going, I can only imagine that if the Xenoy hood broke, a metal one would have been dented up. Of course, you could then beat out the dents, do some body work, prime, and paint it. Of course that would also cost you some money.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
question? do the older deers have plastic (xenon/fiberglass) or metal hoods? does anyone know when did they switched from metal to xenon?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The started using Xenoy hoods in 1992. On certain model's of the 1960's and 70's JD110,120 &140 you will find fiberglass. The original first model JD110's had metal hoods. Iwas going maybe 1mph if that. I was watching the Gate swing close trying to prevent it from hitting the side of the tractor or getting stuck on the rear blade. Chief only reason I didn't try you suggestion I have always had fast and reliable service from my dealer who is 50+ miles away. Hey John Deere the do not make a front bumper for the X-series but now I'm finally going to invest in front suitcase weights so this do not happen to my Dumb A$$ again

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I wonder if the cold weather here in Illinois could have made it break easier then normal.However the engine heat would have warmed it?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Its too bad the higher end Deeres; X series - have xenon hoods.. i always thought of john deeres as being built like a tank.. but tanks are not made of plastic...

One thing i like about my simplicity is the hood is really 4 individual pieces bolted together so if i were to smash a side of it.. i could just replace that side, not the entire hood.. im guessing that would be cheaper than doing the body work required to bang out the dent...

But of course, if something were to bang against a xenon hood - like a baseball, im guessing it would just bend and take the hit.. where as the metal would dent, so thats a benefit...

My toro had a plastic hood.. it stayed outside from spring to fall and after 4 years was pretty faded...

Does the xenon resists fading better?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I leave the "beauty marks" in the hood of my Wheel horse. I guess if it got real dented, I could pound it out and touch up the paint. I would never take it to the body shop. With a broken plastic hood I guess you have no choice but to replace it or to duct tape it into place. $410 OUCH!. :mad:#[email protected]$:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Couldn't you make some sort of bumper and attach it where you attach the suitcase weights???:question:

$410 is a lot of money for a woops. :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Plastic Materials

The older Toro, Scotts, and several others were made of ABS. The newer Xenoy is a much better material for this application. It is more chemical/solvent reistant, flexible at low temperatures, and has far better impact resistance. It's exterior durability (providing good exterior pigments are used to color the material) is FAR better than ABS.

While the Xenoy is a good polmeric material, the methods of attaching/fastening to the metal frame components leave something to be desired.

I have a Deere GT225 and installed the front tube bumper this year. A good investment IMHO.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have a xeony deck on my honda lawn momwer and I have ran over sweet gum balls, acorns etc and I had shown to signs of wearing. Now that is being use as a deck so it should hold up very well being used as a hood.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sarge,
I suggest we demote you to corporal for that one!:eek:mg: Must have been pretty embarrassing to explain that one to the wife and neighbors let alone this forum!:) :) Maybe you mentioned this before, but is Circle W the same dealer for both of us or do you use go someplace else?

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Boy DeereBob your demoting me down pretty far from E-8 Master Sergeant to E-4 Coporal. DeereBob My dealer is in the Rockford area. I just wonder though what Kipps in Napperville would have cost me for the Hood. Wheely boy The hood it self is fine It just a two inch tab that broke off. And since this tractor was my first brand new JD and not being a year old yet I just feel I had to replace the hood. My wife hit her car once with my old JD425 and not a scratch on that tractor. By the way DeereBob Haven't told her yet how I broke the Tab on the hood.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Sergeant, are you near an airfield with a Maintenance Support Company there? I bet you could repair that tab by using some epoxy resin to bond a strip of heat treat sheetmetal or aircraft aluminum to the back of the 2 pieces and save a bunch of money. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Re: Plastic Materials

Originally posted by Gromulus
The older Toro, Scotts, and several others were made of ABS. The newer Xenoy is a much better material for this application. It is more chemical/solvent reistant, flexible at low temperatures, and has far better impact resistance. It's exterior durability (providing good exterior pigments are used to color the material) is FAR better than ABS.

While the Xenoy is a good polmeric material, the methods of attaching/fastening to the metal frame components leave something to be desired.

I have a Deere GT225 and installed the front tube bumper this year. A good investment IMHO.

Thanks Gromulus;
I wonder if the L series have the same type of hoods? so do you think that the new xenon holds the colors and do not fade? after 4-5 years does it still look good? i was sort of disappointed with my toro fading.. but it was my fault, (no shed at the time) so it was left out for 4 years...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts