Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
11,422 Posts
1988 john deere 655 runs fine and reeves up when using attachments but will not reeve up when i have the throttle.
Welcome to the forum. Can you clarify the throttle issue? Does the RPM's increase when needed while using the three point hitch as the governor should work, but doesn't increase the RPM's when driving up an incline or the like?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it does throttle up when using the three points but when moving the throttle lever up it will not reeve up is that normal for this tractor.
Welcome to the forum. Can you clarify the throttle issue? Does the RPM's increase when needed while using the three-point hitch as the governor should work, but doesn't increase the RPM's when driving up an incline or the like?
not sure if it reeves up when going up a hill. why won't it reeve up when the throttle is moved up. i don't understand.

· Registered
294 Posts
How or what makes it rev up using the pto?

Should be a manual throttle with a cable like the 755 ,855 & 955.

Open the hood ,pull off the right side engine cover.
With tractor turned off , Move the throttle and look up front by the pump. Linkage should be moving.

I think were missing your problem in the translation you describe.

I can post a manual for the bigger 3 but do not have one for the 655

· Administrator
11,422 Posts
I'm thinking that when you give it more throttle, the engine should rev up. When you are using the three point implement that starts to dig in, your governor will increase the engine RPM to avoid slowing and or stalling. That's normal. If you move the throttle by hand and it doesn't rev up, that's disconnected, maybe. That's not normal.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How or what makes it rev up using the pto?

Should be a manual throttle with a cable like the 755 ,855 & 955.

Open the hood ,pull off the right side engine cover.
With tractor turned off , Move the throttle and look up front by the pump. Linkage should be moving.

I think were missing your problem in the translation you describe.

I can post a manual for the bigger 3 but do not have one for the 655
i did check the linage it is moving fine

· Registered
294 Posts
The operators manual for 655 is specific to that model.

The one I have only covers the 7 ,8 & 955.

I posted the REPAIR manual above but its long winded and kinda vague.
It does have the electric schematic for your 655 though.

Reading through that other thread.....the one that nobody replied with How they fixed it.
That sounds like a similar issue to what you are having.

The 655 uses Glow plugs and should have a GP timer as does the 755

855 and 955 use an intake heater.
I'll dig for more info......

Make sure your throttle cable bracket is not cracked or broken.....this is a common issue and happened to mine.

· Registered
294 Posts
I don't think so.
Cruise Control linkage is tied to the hydro pedals and the brakes.....Its a quite complex system.

Your issue is a mystery........ Some of the other folks in the other 655 thread seemed to have luck by turning it back Off and restarting.....makes no sense but thats what I read.

Its odd that it will throttle up by way of governor..or seems too.

If its getting air then fuel would be the next logical thing to check.

Is the linkage AT the Injection pump possibly loose on the pump shaft where the cable connects??

· Registered
3,526 Posts
does anyone have an operation manual? for a 655
Yes at the Yanmar tractor owners group, link below in my signature as this model is a Yanmar machine. Also have the technical service manual, all for free even.

· Registered
294 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts