JD 5303 starting problem

Discussion in 'John Deere' started by JCKRBBTJIM, May 28, 2013.

1. JCKRBBTJIM

JCKRBBTJIM New Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Replaced the battery in my 5303 and now it won't start. It turns over very well but there's no fuel. There is a fuse that blows when I turn the key and I have traced the wires to the top of the fuel pump. What is this electrical part and do I have to replace the whole pump to fix it? Thanks for any and all input.

2. drmonsterbrain

drmonsterbrain John Deere Guy

Jun 6, 2013
    This one is easy! Look above the pump. You will see the coolant temp sensor. In that same area is another similar sensor with a pigtail. This other sensor is called a cold start switch. It is wired with the fuel shut off solenoid on the pump. All you have to do us unplug this sensor and replace fuse. Replace sensor when you can. They aren't expensive.

3. JCKRBBTJIM

JCKRBBTJIM New Member

Aug 11, 2008
    It's that simple? That's GREAT news! Thank you very much!

4. drmonsterbrain

Jun 6, 2013
    Yup! That simple! If you follow the wire from your injection pump's fuel shut off solenoid, you will see where the harness continues to the front of the engine & right to that sensor. I've done tons of them thru the years! Just unplug it! Put one in before cold weather. If u go to your local dealer, a good parts guy won't even have to look it up, it's that common.

5. JCKRBBTJIM

JCKRBBTJIM New Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Perfect! We're up and runnin'. Thanks again for your help. I wouldn't have figured that out.

6. drmonsterbrain

Jun 6, 2013
    Anytime! I know my green machines well! ;-) If you need anything else just holler!

7. CD_Shafer

CD_Shafer New Member

May 22, 2016
    I've replaced the cold start sensor & checked all my fuses. There is no current going to the fuel pump. Tractor cranks but never fires. I am suspicious of the problem being in the ignition switch, but I'm not sure which wire to test. Any suggestions?

8. CD_Shafer

CD_Shafer New Member

May 22, 2016
    The tractor is a John Deere 5303.

9. sandy

sandy New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I realize this is an old post, but I just did what drmosterbrain suggested. Had the same problem with my 5210. Thanks

10. brgordon

brgordon Registered User

Sep 13, 2016
    I have followed all the suggestions. I can now hear the fuel pump solenoid click on but it still will not start. I used some starter fluid and got it to run once for an hour, but now will not start. Any suggestions?

11. RC Wells

RC Wells Member

Dec 25, 2008
    First, lose the starting fluid. This is a modern diesel with a very highly placed top compression ring. This type of engine is not at all tolerant of the explosive nature of starting fluid as it causes the ring to distort and roll into the cylinder when the starting fluid explodes. Do that enough and you will create a starting fluid dependent engine until you have it rebuilt.

To your problem. If the fuel pump solenoid clicks, and you have power to the pump, and the pump still does not run you need to check to see that the diesel line is not pressurized and the pump simply stopped because it is at operating pressure.

If the pump is not stopped because the line is up to pressure, and the pump will not prime the system, you need to pull the pump and have it bench tested. Likely due for replacement.

If you have pressure from the fuel pump to the injection pump, then you need to bleed the injection pump and possibly more than one injector line to clear the air locked condition.