Tractor Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You could but the metal bar might hit the elbow. I'd investigate why it's happening in the first place. Shouldn't be that close.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Is it possible to take a photo or two of the hose run, (from the ram to where it connects to supply), I find it surprising that there is no support for that hose in the photo, the hose is just hanging down and placing side pressure on the steering ram which will cause the ram to lean down on the hose side, what Harry16 called squirm in his post.

Does this ram steer the front or rear?.

I was going to suggest using a tension spring attached to the ferrule with a hose clamp and the other end attached to the tractor chassis, the spring would have to be strong enough to support the hose and ram but weak enough to allow the ram to move side to side in its travel, not that I think the ram end travels that far looking at the steering idler that the ball end is bolted to.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
using a tension spring attached to the ferrule with a hose clamp and the other end attached to the tractor chassis, the spring would have to be strong enough to support the hose and ram but weak enough to allow the ram to move side to side in its travel,

Strain relief Fred. TSC has them here in the states.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
using a tension spring attached to the ferrule with a hose clamp and the other end attached to the tractor chassis, the spring would have to be strong enough to support the hose and ram but weak enough to allow the ram to move side to side in its travel,

I put a 45 elbow on the hose and that stopped the furrule from bending, but the tie rod still rubs a against the elbow. Do you think it’s fine or do you have any other ideas? The tension spring did not work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Is it possible to take a photo or two of the hose run, (from the ram to where it connects to supply), I find it surprising that there is no support for that hose in the photo, the hose is just hanging down and placing side pressure on the steering ram which will cause the ram to lean down on the hose side, what Harry16 called squirm in his post.

Does this ram steer the front or rear?.

I was going to suggest using a tension spring attached to the ferrule with a hose clamp and the other end attached to the tractor chassis, the spring would have to be strong enough to support the hose and ram but weak enough to allow the ram to move side to side in its travel, not that I think the ram end travels that far looking at the steering idler that the ball end is bolted to.
The ram controls both front and rear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I was thinking I could put some washer on the end of the ram to raise it up and move the hose out of the way. Do you think it will work?

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I was thinking I could put some washer on the end of the ram to raise it up and move the hose out of the way. Do you think it will work?
If the retaining bolt on each end of the ram is straight and not tapered, then yes you could use some flat washers to lift the ram some, but do both ends.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I put a 45 elbow on the hose and that stopped the furrule from bending, but the tie rod still rubs a against the elbow. Do you think it’s fine or do you have any other ideas? The tension spring did not work.
Can you attach a photo of the 45°elbow so we can see how you have this orientated.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
One last time, something is wonky with that metal bar that hits the hose. Way too close. You need to diagnose the issue before attempting to make a repair to the impacted component.

I'd like to see a picture of the rest of the steering knuckle and the bar and how it attaches. All your pictures show is the end. Think all you are doing is applying a band aid to an issue that needs to be addressed. Address the issue of the bar or whatever it's called and your issue goes away.

I don't own anything green but something isn't right.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts