Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I resently bought a 425 and noticed a leak on the right turn power steering hose. The part that the sleeve and the nut connect to was bent and pinch causing the leak. I replace the hose left turn was fine, turn right and same thing the part the sleeve to the nut bent and leak more. What is causing this!! I can provide a picture of when it’s leaking.
Font Line Rectangle Parallel Slope

·
Registered
615 Posts
Good Morning Miller, welcome to the forum.

My GUESS is that the cylinder is "squirming" when turning, and bending the connection. Can you put a swivel on that connection? Another possibility is that the ball joint at the fixed end of the cylinder is worn out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Morning Miller, welcome to the forum.

My GUESS is that the cylinder is "squirming" when turning, and bending the connection. Can you put a swivel on that connection? Another possibility is that the ball joint at the fixed end of the cylinder is worn out.
The cylinder and lines are brand new. What does cylinder squirming mean?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The term "squirming" was used to describe the cylinder moving about during pressurized operation. Can you fit a swivel on that connection to relieve stress?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Is there excessive "play" in the steering linkage? I use the term "play" to describe non-productive movement in the steering linkage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there excessive "play" in the steering linkage? I use the term "play" to describe non-productive movement in the steering linkage.
It turn left just fine but not right al the way than starts leaking and broke the line. Where would a put a swivel the relief the stress?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The swivel goes between the hose and the cylinder. Can you re-route the hose in some manner to provide some slack in the hose at that connection?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The swivel goes between the hose and the cylinder. Can you re-route the hose in some manner to provide some slack in the hose at that connection?
Do you have a link to the swivel. Or can I just bye the same elbow and line from the other side to use for turning right?

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I may be wrong, but I would say the left hand tie rod end is catching the ferrule and causing the break, it sure lines up in the second photo.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The metal bar shaped piece in your picture, sure looks like it's hitting the hose furrule (metal hose end) at some point in it's travel, you need to check it. If tight, but the longer hose and install that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The metal bar shaped piece in your picture, sure looks like it's hitting the hose furrule (metal hose end) at some point in it's travel, you need to check it. If tight, but the longer hose and install that.
It is hitting and bending it. Thank you so much! Do you think I could put a 45 elbow on it to move the furrule out of the way?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts