Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main lift cylinder on my JD 260 loader is leaking profusely. Is this something I can do myself or do some of the parts require pressing into position? It looks like they sell replacement kits, should I replace all of the internal gaskets and seals as long as I have it off of the tractor?
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did all four cylinders on my 260. Did all the work by myself. No special tools were required but it was all I wanted without extra muscle. I got the parts kits from an aftermarket company that I found on eBay. They recommended actually measuring the shafts and cylinders and calling them to insure correct parts and they were much cheaper than oem.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Probably comes apart by removing a retaing snap ring at the head. They can sometimes be a PITA to get the rod out. I used to run a small chain through the eyes and use a blow gun to extend unit the packing head popped out. If it hangs up, whack it with a hammer. The chain is to keep from shooting across the shop floor like a torpedo when it pops. Make a long extension and use a cylinder hone to clean up and cross-hatch the cylinder bore. When you get all the packing installed, use a piston ring compressor to slide them in the bore without rolling or cutting them. If you grease/oil the packing enough the ring compressor, you can pick the whole thing up and drop the barrel end on the concrete floor. The impact will slide the packing head/rod right into the barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts