Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR ALL THE NOOBS LIKE ME
First tractor. First winter with a tractor. First post.
Hey all! Thank you for everyone for the information I’ve gleaned over the past year of owning a tractor. I live in Alberta, Canada (cold) and decided to put my tractor away for the winter until a week ago (chinook). Used the tractor to clear all the poop from around the barn for my wife’s horses. Worked great for the two hours that I used it. Next time out, it stalled and wouldn’t restart. Found LOTS of posts about debris in the fuel tank and was getting ready to remove it. Somebody also suggested checking the fuel filter. Now… as a newbie… I’m not particularly familiar with the workings of a diesel engine. But I THINK the fuel filter separates any condensation / water from the fuel - along with any gunk and other debris that gets in the fuel line. I don’t think it’s normal to have 2 inches of water in the bowl of your fuel filter. Needless to say, when I emptied it out and put everything back together, the engine eventually started and ran again smooth as silk. All of you experts out there can happily have a chuckle at my expense. My question is, what should I do to prevent that from happening again? Do I add fuel stabilizer? Do I do something different? Any and all comments and jokes are welcome :)

· Registered
294 Posts
2305 was an odd duck.

iirc
It has a fan on the driveline to cool hydraulics........this can get broken easy in the brush as its plastic.

Also......Either there are no grease fitting on this driveline or there is no mention of them in the manual.
There are replacement u joints avl but not from JD. If the u joints fail it tends to do severe damage to the transmission when this driveline starts flopping around under the tractor.

Lastly.....The rear pto shaft has very poor support of its internal bearings. Be sure your pto drivelines are cut to the proper length. If drive line is too long and you stuff it forwards...you will break the case internally where the bearing is. Lots of 2305's out there for sale with a plug in the back where the pto output used to be.

One other note.......bolts in the Ring gear of Differential are known to come loose. New trans case is the fix when that happens.

All that said..There are many many out there with no problems and lots of hours on them.

Check the main driveline from engine to trans for slop in u joints.
There should be some YT video's on the fix for this.
4-500 hours is the fail point as I recall.

· Administrator
11,422 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That seems like a lot of water in the fuel! Are you getting your fuel at a decent service station? Make sure your fuel is clean and not contaminated is pretty important, as is keeping the hydraulic oil / system extremely clean.
If you park the tractor for extended periods, I'd fill the tank and use a good diesel fuel conditioner as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts