Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 185 Hydro and everything has been great until the wire frayed and started shorting on the PTO Clutch.

I had to roll the lawnmower into the garage with the manual lever and then remove the old one and I installed a new one (Gen3). Now I fired it up, and the deck turns on which is great.

New problem though, when I tried to move in reverse or forward it doesn't work. Its almost like the lever isn't engaging or something.

I'm new to all this so could appreciate some help! What should I do?

Thanks J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes .... It don't take a lot for it to be out of position.
Move the lever in and out several times making sure to put it "back in gear" ....

This lever kills the hydro all together ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I pulled it in and out and turned it. Nothing changed, then I followed it and saw that it pulls this little piece. I've taken a photo to look. View media item 3529 Am I doing the right thing here? I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This link should give you the correct way to put your mowed in transport more ....
On my Hydro 165 the lever is located on the center console near the seat ...little short shaft at an angle ....has a round black knob on it ....

I have accidentally hit it with my foot and bumped it ...the tractor will not move either way as the hydrostatic has been " disconnected " ....

I think there are different hydrostatic drives used in the J.D. H 185.....

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNEqQTy_-Iy9nQXLR10bE3Vz2QbgfQ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it turns out that when I replaced the PTO Clutch I removed the old key (there's a built in key on the new clutch) which meant there was no key on the drive belt. So I cut the old key shorter and the PTO clutch went up and everything ran perfect. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So the hydrostatic was not receiving power from the engine ....I knew had to be something simple .... Didn't realize you had replaced the pto .... All makes sense....

On my 165 the knob that you move to push the mower around by hand is located in the floor board ....sometimes I would bump it ...even though it looked "engaged" ...it was not ....did not know for sure where the knob/lever was located on the 185 ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes that knob is basically between my legs and certainly is finicky being engaged or not. Sorry about not giving enough context. I really appreciate your help! Now I really need to cut my grass haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts