Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I have a 60" Ford Series-A rear mounted rotary mower. I managed to break the belt and get it hopelessly stuck between the center spindle and the "gear stand". I broke the belt again when I tried to use a crow bar. Am I stuck with disassembling the entire mechanism? Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
I'm not really familiar with the implement, and it's kind of a "by feel" in my opinion, but if in doubt, I'd take things apart enough to free it up, otherwise, when things get to where you're using a pry bar, then damage is likely to happen. I'd try perhaps something like a small cutting tool or a drill to maybe cut or remove parts of the belt out of the mechanism. I've had amazing luck with a drill with a long speed bore bit before.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
If the belts are jumping off, replace the idler tensioner spring. Check also all of your idler and spindle bearings. I have a Rhino finish mower that would jump belts, and they would invariably be damaged getting between pulleys. I put a new tensioner spring on it, and made a new anchor to add over an inch of spring stretch. Solved that problem...haven't had a belt jump off in the past three years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts