Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not going to be a good week. One of my dogs, the oldest, and the best, will have to go to the vet this week. He is 14, can't hear, eye site is real bad, and has gotten to the point that he will not eat, and can hardly walk, or get up, or down. Looks like I will have to have him put down. You hate to have to do it, but he has been a GREAT dog,[The BEST IMHO] and I just hate to see him suffer.

Sorry to bring everyone down, and I have nothing to ask, just kinda venting a little.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Sorry

Paul sorry to hear that i know how hard it is to have to have your pets put down. They are a member of the family and you will see him again one day y'all will be reunite just remember that.
Jody

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
sorry to hear.... 14 years is pretty good for a dog but never long enough..... Tough to lose a good and faithful friend...

jp

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am also sad to hear about your dog. They are always true friends, never wanting anything except the basics and loving attention. Like losing a member of the family.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Paul, Sorry to hear about your dog. We lost 2 this year. One was 12 and he got down with arthritis. The other was only 4 and suddenly started showing symptoms of kidney failure, which the vet confirmed. We weren't expecting that and it caught us off-guard We still have a 15 year-old veteran which, like yours, can't hear and we're not sure how well she sees. But she's still going strong.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, our dogs and cat are part of the family and the loss would not be fun.

As long as you remember them they will never be gone. You just never want them to suffer.
Best wishes.

KC

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Stewart
Sorry to hear about your loss, our dogs and cat are part of the family and the loss would not be fun.

As long as you remember them they will never be gone. You just never want them to suffer.
Best wishes.

KC
Ya he was starting to suffer. This morning he was wimpering a lot, so I brought him in. I got to say it was the hardest thing I have ever done. We had talked about seeing if there was something we could do, but all that would have done was bought him a few weeks, and he would not have been happy. One of his legs were all inflamed, and his hips were just giving out. The sad part is that it happand so fast. OK he has been slowing down a lot, but it hit him bad the end of last week. I don;t know, maybe the snow did something to advance it. But,He was a GREAT dog, now he has went to a better place. He WILL be missed.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I did not realize how attached I was to our springer until that day came. In our case it was complications from diabetes. It's been 5 years now, still remember it well. Having a pet is kind of like watching your own life in fast forward.

Mark

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Paul,

We had a black lab/golden retriever before our current dog. We got "Tommy" for $10 out of a cardboard box in from of a drug store. He was the best we ever had... loving, patient, fun, active, just a real joy and a wonderful "son". We even took him to Japan with us when I was transfered there on business. We had leased our house out so when we came back and he got back in his old back yard, he was very happy.

I knew his hips were getting bad but I didn't want to accept it. I would always say, he'll be OK in a few days.

He used to go to "tinkle", sniff around the front yard and then pick up the paper and come back in the house. One day he was late and I looked out to see him laying down in front of the mailbox. He was whimpering and couldn't move. I then knew it was time for me to think about his pain and not mine.

I helped him back into the house and called the vet and told him.."it's time". I put Tommy in the motorhome and went to the vet. The Dr. was great, very kind and understanding. He gave me a few minutes alone with Tommy and then came out with the shot. He explained the procedure and that Tommy would just peacefully go to sleep. I held him while the Dr. gave him the shot and cried when he went to sleep. We carried him into the clinic and made arrangements for him to be cremated.

That night was hell but I knew I had done the best thing for Tommy. A week later Tommy "came home" in a very nice pewter container and we put him on a table in the corner of our bedroom with several pictures of him. He was with us for 11 years. Sometimes I go over and "talk" to him and thank him for so many good years.

I know how hard it is to do what you had to do but he is so much better off now. And, he will always be with you in your thoughts and memory. Cherish the good times.

Greg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Man you are making me tear up just reading the posts. I hate the thought of having to put animals down. We have a 12-year-old Springer. She is getting a little hard of hearing and the eyes are a little cloudy. She has been a big part of our lives for a long time and when it is time she will be missed greatly. I sit on the floor with her quite a bit and give the big belly rubs. Gotta love Springers they are great dogs.

We have a little over a year old Basset hound and they are two completely opposite animals The Basset is more a loner and is content to be out in the yard tearing something up. The Springer wants to be wherever you are.

I think when the time comes we will have her cremated and spread her ashes around the ol homestead. We have quit a few pictures and we will never forget her.
angel

:usa:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can relate too. I lost my baby girl on October 29. She was 17 years 4 months old. She had kidney failure in June but the vet managed to pull her through and I had to hand feed her after that because she couldn't eat on her own. She gave me 4 more months with her before she left. I had her cremated and I keep her in my bedroom also. Since I have no children she held that position, she is greatly missed.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Paul,
I had to put down a 13 yr. old Springer family member a few years back. One of the hardest things I've ever done. Next time I'll leave to the vet. Time helps the healing.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the nice thoughts guys.

Things are getting back to some kind of a rutean around here. My other two dogs, were a little lost, but they are coming around. Still feels strange though. Just that little more empty floor space in the morning, or letting the dogs in, and there only being two. But we are doing OK. He will always be the favert though. Never was a better before, and will not be a better after.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Rainbow Bridge

Hey Paul i came across this and thought of you.
Jody

He is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown

1 - 17 of 17 Posts