Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am trying to test out SQL server running on a Windows 2K machine.
I was told how to get around the sql server install so that i could install it on a Non Server platform.

so now i have the SQL server installed on a windows 2K machine.
As you can tell, I know nothing about SQL server but noticed within enteprise manager that
there are some sample databases.. can i open them to test to ensure that sql server is running and working properly on the windows 2K machine? I have ms access but want to find a way to verify that the sql server is working as it should...

thanks

FYI: we are trying to set up an Client server app that runs over sql server.. but we want to set it up on a local PC so sales people can demo the product... That is the reason i put the sql server on a standalone PC.

Tis?? Tobu? Andy? any ideas

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
If you can launch Enterprise Manager and see that you have database such as Master, Tempdb, Northwind, etc... you are installed. From an accessing standpoint, the main interaction tool is Query Analizyer. If you can log into the Query analizer and type in something like this below... you are good to go (for now)

sp_help

To further test it, you can install the client utilities on another workstation, launch query analizer, log in and run the sp_help again. If you can do that, you are even better off.. BUT

Your biggest problems getting your client server application working is probably around the following...

NamedPipes or TCP/IP connection
Native Windows Authenication or Standard SQL Server authenication
code pages, sort order, language set

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i was able to do the sp_help and also was able to do a

select * from authors over the pubs database

so i am assuming the sql server is working as it should.

The CS developer tried to get his CS application to run and got a server not found error.

So maybe i need to do something with the tcp connections, i would guess there would be no remote connection as the server and client reside on the same machine.. but i am guessing that somehow something is messed up on the connection part.

i did not configure the pipes/connections part of the client...

Instead of killing myself doing this, i am considering just getting another eblvd.com connection and have the sales people access the application over the web.

Eblvd is like a pc anywhere or a poor mans version of webex.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
If you went with defaults, SQL is listening on the 1433 port. Should *NOT* be hard for them to use.
[Editted to add *not*... funny how missing one word can change the WHOLE meaning]

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
http://www.realvnc.com/

This is the poor mans remote control that I use. TOTALLY AWESOME. I have it on all my machines at home and my work machines. I can be at work and take control of my machine at home.

FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE

We have terminal services and other stuff like that, but this stuff is stupidily easy to install and use. Click, click, click and your done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts