Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He tested his starter solenoid and starter motor, it could have just been a bad solenoid.
If he had put his hot battery cable directly to the starter hot post it would have checked the motor.
He tested his starter solenoid and starter motor, it could have just been a bad solenoid.
If he had put his hot battery cable directly to the starter hot post it would have checked the motor.
What does checked mean?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To find out if the starter motor is ok, bridge across with the screw driver as I suggested and you will find out if the motor is ok.

He will find out if it is jammed after he does the above BigT.
I did bridge across it sparked but that's all should I open it up and see if its stuck on anything and check if the solenoid needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
And you still get sparks? There is a very small probability this is a solenoid issue. To make sure disconnect both leads from the solenoid and short the battery lead directly to the starter. If you get sparks(meaning a short to ground) then the starter for some reason is hung up.

Why did you have the battery side disconnected in the first place? that batt cable looks like it is poorly positioned relative to the starter terminal.

Your original test bypassed the solenoid so a logical conclusion is that the solenoid does not pay a part in this failure. However,, if the starer side of the solenoid is grounded internal to the solenoid then it could be an issue. That is why you want to isolate it from the test.
Keep in mind this tractor has been sitting for 15 years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts