Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
You will probably find the solenoid is kaput!!, most likely a pull in wire has parted and the solenoid has gone open circuit, have you bridged across the battery cable pole to the starter motor pole, this will show if the starter is kaput, make sure the tractor is in neutral before trying, I have to mention that and you will know because you are testing the starter.

Bridge from the red cable to the opposite pole and the starter should spin, let us know how that goes.

·
821 Posts
He tested his starter solenoid and starter motor, it could have just been a bad solenoid.
If he had put his hot battery cable directly to the starter hot post it would have checked the motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He tested his starter solenoid and starter motor, it could have just been a bad solenoid.
If he had put his hot battery cable directly to the starter hot post it would have checked the motor.
What does checked mean?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
What does checked mean?
To find out if the starter motor is ok, bridge across with the screw driver as I suggested and you will find out if the motor is ok.

Could be the starter drive/pinion gear is jammed in the ring gear and cannot be turned.
He will find out if it is jammed after he does the above BigT.

·
Registered
Ford 5000
58 Posts
Use the screw driver to go across (bridge) from the Red Wire directly across the the large braid wire (that’s the wire the drives the actual starter motor) plus, be sure the Red wire is tighten down to the terminal it’s on before testing. If that Red wire was lose, like in the picture during your testing of the solenoid the solenoid would never work.

·
821 Posts
Screwdriver???:rolleyes:........ I shoved one of these into a 4" piece of heater hose, used 10ga wire, spring loaded clips, and found out a long time ago it's much easier to BS anybody watching into thinking you know what your doing..... It doesn't scare the women and children nearly as much ;)

Save the $20 Snap-On Screwdriver

View attachment 79356
That's fine for bypassing all the safeties and switch wiring and will work as good as my purchased remote starter.
Untill you try to bypass the solenoid and go straight to the starter windings, then it's a bit to light.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That's fine for bypassing all the safeties and switch wiring and will work as good as my purchased remote starter.
Untill you try to bypass the solenoid and go straight to the starter windings, then it's a bit to light.
Yep..... That's when I use one of these with the ends and wiring from a junk set of jumper cables and there even cheaper than the push button switch. Over the years, my Service Managers, Shop Foreman, and the Old Timers always seemed to kinda frown if they saw me using a screwdriver to make big arcing sparks on a piece of equipment. They just got me in the habit of not taking any chances of burning a customers equipment up, or the shop down, because of a fuel leak/explosive vapors. That's also a really good way to fry an ECM, dash cam, or backup camera

Harbor Freight Special

Light Product Automotive lighting Auto part Camera accessory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To find out if the starter motor is ok, bridge across with the screw driver as I suggested and you will find out if the motor is ok.

He will find out if it is jammed after he does the above BigT.
I did bridge across it sparked but that's all should I open it up and see if its stuck on anything and check if the solenoid needs to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
If you are getting sparks across those two terminals as I think you are describing, then you are bypassing the solenoid. So the problem is the starter and it is drawing current(hence the sparks) so there is something keeping the starter from turning, either an internal short or as been already mentioned stuck against the flywheel. Either way the starter needs to be removed or if this is a manual trans you can rock the tractor to rotate the engine. That could eliminate a stuck starter.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
And you still get sparks? There is a very small probability this is a solenoid issue. To make sure disconnect both leads from the solenoid and short the battery lead directly to the starter. If you get sparks(meaning a short to ground) then the starter for some reason is hung up.

Why did you have the battery side disconnected in the first place? that batt cable looks like it is poorly positioned relative to the starter terminal.

Your original test bypassed the solenoid so a logical conclusion is that the solenoid does not pay a part in this failure. However,, if the starer side of the solenoid is grounded internal to the solenoid then it could be an issue. That is why you want to isolate it from the test.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It could be the solenoid and/or the carbon brushes. The starter you are working on has 4 contact brushes. If those brushes are worn, broken or burned, the starter will not turn and will burn the copper contacts on the rotor until it’s useless. That cap on the back end of the starter is easy to remove for brush inspection.
Wear disposable gloves because the carbon gets on everything. Spreads like graphite.

I had experienced an odd scenario with a similar Delco starter… I worked on a Massey Ferguson 135 for an orchard with the same symptoms described. At the end of the day, I found a vole or field mouse got into an open hole at the bottom of the bell housing and filled that bell housing full of bedding and crap that the starter gear pulled inside the windings and trashed the stater. All this was inside the starter motor housing. Not likely your issue… more validation that odd things will happen.
pictures below.
Soil Asphalt Fur Metal Rock

Burned rotor contacts
Food Ingredient Recipe Wood Rectangle
Sculpture Gas Engineering Building Machine

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Vehicle brake Gas

broken (plastic) contact holder
Automotive tire Gear Crankset Rim Gas

Automotive tire Wood Gear Font Automotive wheel system

Also found this contact holders, threaded hole, striped out
Automotive tire Rim Wood Gear Automotive wheel system

1 - 20 of 23 Posts