Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today and yesterday we are over 90 degrees and 50 % humidity. This is very different for Western Washington which normally has temps in the 70's to low 80's at this time of year. I just went to the 5th wheel travel trailer and started the Air conditioner and am moving the dogs to it to keep them cool.
The grass is actually crunching under my feet and I figure that I am not going to water it as brown grass at this time of year is the normal and it saves me mowing it (2 and half acres is just to much to water). Also using a fescue that is really hardy is a advantage for the dry time of the year. I do not really care it is going brown as it wil recover in a week after a rain happens.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Michael,

Know what you mean. I've had to run the sprinklers on the lawn at dawn and dusk and it still "chrunches" around three o'clock. Hopefully it will cool off a little later next week. Trying to sleep at night is a problem too. I think I'll go down to the rec room and sleep there if this keeps up.

Greg

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Its like that all summer down here highs are anywhere from90 to 97 with high humidity. The heat index is anywhere from 100 to 108 during the summer.

·
Registered
674 Posts
87 degrees here in southwest Ohio. Seems to be nice and not to humid. I took a trip out to Phoenix about three years ago in august and it was 107 and had rained so it was a little humid. Ain't no way i could live in that heat! Wow, that about fried this little white boy! People out there get their running around done in the morning and then stay inside in the air conditioning the rest of the day. No thank you , i'll just stay where i'm at.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to live in Vegas about 17 years ago and it was the same in the summer. Everyone used swamp coolers to keep cool they worked real well except when the humidity got up then it was the a/c.:eek:

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
I spent a year in Biloxi MS in '68. Worst year of my life. Stifling hot, sopping wet humid....among other things.

Even in the morning and evening, when you yawned...it was so humid, you gargled at the same time. Clothes got mildewed, just a mess.

Did make a few trips to New Orleans and loved it there.

Greg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually has been cooler and wetter that we normally see here in NW NJ. Been in the 70's and 80's with some showers. Grass nice and green, so is the corn and the hay. Tough to get hay to dry lately. Could use a week of sunshine, But three weeks ago we wanted the showers 'cause it was starting to get too dry.

By the posts af you guys who've been down south I think I;'ll stay here for the summer!!;)

waynl

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Today was just perfect here. I measured a low of 53F this morning and a high of 75F this afternoon (below normal). We did have a dry hot spell earlier in the month which was replaced with humidity and scattered storms. Monthly rain total so far is 2.71", which is about average along with the mean temperatures. I just finished mowing tonight and it was on the tall side in places of shade after one week. The areas in full sun are still a little burned from the earlier heat. We have cool weather Kentucky Bluegrass mainly. The crabgrass / wiregrass is growing strong after the last rain.

Mark

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It's been a WET summer here!! Haven't mowed a spear of hay yet!!:eek: It was cold and wet up til the last week or 2, then it got hot and wet, which is fine when you're with a woman, but BAD in the hayfield.:D Been 80-90 through the day with 70-90% humidity. Fog in the morning til near noon, then scourching sun.:dazed:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well just got finish watching the news and at 10:15 it was 83 with a heat index of 91. Thank God for A/C its to muggy not to have it. Tomorrow its to get to 96 with a heat index of 106 don't you wish you lived down here:D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Its so darn hot and dry here I have cactus growing in my rain gage sight glass! They called for a 20% chance of rain this AM, and a 40% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon, and a big whopping 50% of early evening storms..............it has not rained a drop and the sky is as clear as can be and full of stars. Tomorrow is supposed to be hot with a 60% chance of storms in the early afternoon and up to 70% evening and night rains. Yea right and its gonna snow the following week with up to 12 inches of accumulation!

Its nice in one way to have sandy soil as after a rain the place don;t have any mud h9les, but its a real pain when you do not get rain on a regular basis as things dry out so quick........

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't know, we get into the 90s for a few days in the summer, then -30s in the winter,, why would I want to give up that!:rolleyes: :dazed: :crazy:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well we went from WICKED storms, with 4"+ rains in an hour, to dry dry dry, to upper80's, and upper 70% humidaty, to not it,s cool and dry.:mad: :confused: Been a STRANGE summer.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
We have had a couple of stretches of high temps and high humidity lately. Usually though it is hot and humid from the end of May to Sept. Temp wise has been unusually mild.

We have had rain every week since the grass started growing! It is nice to see everything lush and green, but I am sick of mowing two properties. I have put over 70 hrs on my 2210 since this spring, with over 90% of the hours running the mower. I guess if it was dry, I would be bitching about lack of seat time on the big mower.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts