Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an old firebird thats been sitting this winter.. 2 of the tires/rims tend to lose air... I think it has to dfo with the aluminum rims and just sitting....

I planned to put some fix a flat in the tires and see if that does not seal up the rim leakage..
any reason why i would not do this? i'd heard fixaflat makes a mess when removing the tire from the rim.. but its really a beater car that i ride around in in the sumer so i dont really care too much..
PS the tires are only about a year old..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would take them off and take them to the tire shop and have them done right. More money up front, but no mess later.

I used slime in a bike tire and my neighbor put it in his trailer he tows behind his tractor. I think it work great for items like that.:D

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Warn the tire shop people if you have fix-a-flat in the tires.

Also, would slime or FaF get your tire out of balance?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It might in a car tire if you don't get it spinning. On a bike or wheelbarrow tire it would't hurt as bad. The only thing is it might not get spread around like you want it to. I think it is on the directions of the slime container to spin the tire after you put it in.:cheers:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
A normal servicable tire looses about 1 lb. of air pressure per month. Fix a flat in my opinion is TOTALLY useless with perhaps the exception of the wife being in the middle of nowhere in very bad weather and getting a flat and I would still say it would be better to use the spare. The fix a flat will make it nearly impossible to balance the tire as well. It is junk!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Any tire shop could break the bead, clean the rim, and use a sealer around the bead, add a new valve and balance for around $10-$15

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
No matter what you do; you will get a minimal amount of monthly leakage. That is normal. No tire will indefinitely hold its pressure.

·
Registered
977 Posts
with your aluminum rim i would bet you have excessive rim leakage bead sealer installed at tire shop is your best bet fix a flat makes a mess and in cold temperatures like we get here it turns into slimecicles in your tire

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
No matter what you do; you will get a minimal amount of monthly leakage. That is normal. No tire will indefinitely hold its pressure.

I just have to dissagree........call me what you want but this is the Gods honest truth, I swear it is. Just yesterday the wife and I were in the field watching as our last doe of the herd had a kid. I have a livestock trailer in this field to use as a shelter for the goats. It is rusted out and has not been on the road in many many years. I stated to her, that I had never ever topped off the tires on that trailer as long as I had owned it,,,ever...and I bought it used but in like new condition back in 1985............It gets moved periodically from spot to spot, but never on the open road anymore, but this afternoon that may change as I may have to go and use it to pick up two calves I have coming. But I swear to God, Allah or even Spike on the GW "I have never topped off the tires in it yet, and they are still fine..........I do need to top off the tires on my pickup and the wifes car periodically though.....

The tires on that trailer are 8.00 x 15 bias ply types with 6 plies made by General Tire. Even the spare is fully inflated. Maybe pulling it around the place with all those goat droppings has any leaks permanently plugged :D

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
The tire may not go flat but it will leak a minute amount of air over time that most in the tire industry agree is about 1 psi per month. Perhaps this rate may slow down as the tire looses more and more pressure. I got the impression that the car sets for many months at a time without use.

I defend your right to disagree and heartily welcome your view point and information. (learn something new everyday) Won't call you anything, not even late for dinner! ;) :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Maybe hea has the perfect rims and tires??? I need a set of those! Think how long they have lasted. I don't think I would take them out on the road, the dry rot would probably be kind of bad. Great for the goats though!!!!:D

Sorry it seemed funny to me!:furious:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I did not realize it until I had some trailer tires explode on me last summer but trailer tires are supposed to be replaced every 5 years due to the adheasive disbonding in the belts and deterioration in general of the tire. Mine were about 11 years old when they blew up so I guess i got my money's worth. No more high dollar trailer tires for me! I get the $27 cheapee's from now on!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by Stewart
Maybe hea has the perfect rims and tires??? I need a set of those! Think how long they have lasted. I don't think I would take them out on the road, the dry rot would probably be kind of bad. Great for the goats though!!!!:D

Sorry it seemed funny to me!:furious:

Well today I did haul it out on the open road. I took the back road to the fellows pasture that I got the calves from, but came back on the major roadways. Not a problem. The tires are not even the first bit dry rotted. Usually after sopme time you can see minute cracks etc in the sidewalls etc from the sun, but these are not cracked anywhere. One of them right now is nice and black, as I washed it off and gave the tire a good looking over, the other three only a spot washed on them gor a look see. They were green before from algae and mildew which grows rampant in this area. I better shut my mouth about how great and trouble free these tires are, as I am liable to go outside later and find 4 of em flat as a fritter.

I may just haul it to the small animal and poultry auction on Saturday, as I am hoping to pick up some more goats.....and it sure would beat hauling them in the back of a pickup with sidepanels. The distance to the auction would be about double what I went withit today. Goat sales for me has been terrific. I can sell just about any young goat from about 3 months of age up to about 1 1/2 to 2 years old or so, real easy. The folks thats buying them prefer intact bucks, but will take a doe or weather if no bucks are available. Bucks especially brush type goats or pygmy types, sell for little to nothing at the auction, but bring good money when sold to the hispanic population as they look at it as meat not as a mixed breed goat or bush goat.

Yep, it don't take much to keep a goat happy, as long as they don't know there is a Hispanic family on the way out to pay them a visit.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts