Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new user, first post on the forums.

We've got a couple of tractors in our yard, I don't know much about them because we never really farmed and my dad mostly bought them because he found them for a good deal and we had some yard work we needed to take care of. One is an old ford that as I understand it it's engine is locked up. The one that will run is and International Harvester 444 with a front bucket. I'm a car guy, I know little about tractors. The issue I'm having is that I'm getting fuel to the bowl, pump works, good spark (will run off of starting fluid going down intake) but fuel isn't getting past the carburetor as best as I can tell. The other issue is that the hydraulics will work but the power steering will not. You'll spin the wheel about 40 times to get the tires to move ever so slightly.

I work in EMS, want to get into farming on our measly 5 acres and the tractor would be a boon if I can reliably get this thing going. I wish I had time to dive into it and restore it, but it's a matter of using now to fix it later. What do you think would cause these two issues and is there a good guide somewhere that covers these tractors in detail? The wiring harness has been butchered and I'm going to college for electrical engineering now so that's a project for later, but the essentials have power and that's all that matters. It'll be easier to have a manual when I decide to restore this thing and keep it kicking another 40-50 years.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Go get a rebuild kit for the carburetor and follow the instructions. As for the Power steering it is most likely (I cant remember the name) where the steering wheel is itself a pump and the steering is augmented by the hydraulic system.

So,, check the hydraulic oil lever first and if it is OK and the hoses are OK you will probably have to rebuild the pump.

As soon as I hit enteer the name of that system will pop in my head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, my dad and I took the pump off and verified it was working, it could have just gotten low or something, we'll put in new fluid once I get it running. As for ordering parts, what are some good sites or stores to order from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
messicks.com, they are a caseIH dealer. Or find your local caseIH dealer. Look up bc144 engine, its not listed with the tractor. All states ag parts ( tractorpartsasap.com ) has new and used parts.
You should get a service manual for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts