Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad left an old John Deere 301 when he passed. I used it a couple times to spread some gravel and should have sold it while it was running as now it is dead and won't start.

I thought maybe it had sat too long so I drained the diesel, changed the oil, changed the fuel filter, etc. Still no go.

I have fuel flowing well to the injector pump but nothing coming out past the pump. I've tried bleeding it by opening up the overflow line but nothing comes out there either.

I'm a decent mechanic when i know what the problem is but have messed with an injector pump before. Would love help from someone who knows more than me. FYI my father had replaced the pump at some point as it is very green and the tractor has been painted yellow on top of the original yellow.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome to TF
My guess is metering valve in inj pump is stuck. IIRC 301 has fuel control solenoid in inj pump. If that is correct can you hear solenoid make a click sound when key switch is turned to on position?

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
My search shows it’s a Stanadyne pump.??
Remove ALL the fittings off the top cover and try to start it..
U might have to open a couple of lines AT THE INJECTORS to bleed the air out..
Oh, hold the throttle WIDE OPEN..
Mage sure your hearing a CLICK when u turn the key on.. THATS the shut off solenoid kicking to the RUN position..
If that doesn’t work, get back to us & we’ll tell u about a “stuck metering valve”..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a Stanadyne pump. Tractor is up at my mom's so it will be Friday before I can try anything else. I wondered about a fuel solenoid. I'm not hearing any click but I have tested and have power to the unit. I have cranked it with the fittings loose at the injectors. No fuel to any of the three lines.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Remove the wire from the solenoid .Turn the key on and touch the wire to the solenoid.. can u FEEL IT pulling in..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remove the wire from the solenoid .Turn the key on and touch the wire to the solenoid.. can u FEEL IT pulling in..
Thanks. I will try that. However, I put my hand on it the other day and turned on the key. Couldn't feel anything or hear anything.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Take the top cover off..
U can use a turkey injector to suck the fuel out so u can see what’s going on.. OR. loosen the side cover window to drain some fuel out..
Google;; RoosaMaster metering valve.. THAT will give you an idea of what’s under the cover..
The mv gets stuck in the shut off position.. but can b freed up without removing it in most cases..
If your solenoid is burnt up.. nothing u can do but replace it..
It might just b gummed up and u can clean it up w break clean.?
Good luck..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I run any risk of damaging the engine if I get it going without doing a rebuild? I mainly hope to get it running and get it sold. However, I also don't want to shaft the next person. If I decide to have the unit rebuilt, who would your recommend? I've been quoted $495 from DCP but know nothing about them.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Damage.?? Just depends on what you find when you take the cover off..
If your going to remove the side cover to drain some fuel, hold a wad of paper towels under it and catch the fuel coming out.. IF u see little black specks that look like mouse turds.. that means the flex ring inside the pump has deteriorated and the pump NEEDS TO BE o/h’d..
Don’t forget to remove All the fittings off the top cover BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING..& let the fuel flow out of the hole when you try to start it..
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Almost forgot, if your gonna take the top cover off & drain some fuel, look in the CORNERS of the pump housing.. those mouse turds like to gather there too..

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
IF you try to start it w the TOP COVER OFF.. and it starts.. be prepared to shut it off w the metering valve.!!
The solenoid did the shutting off & now u removed it..
I hope that explained.??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I think I get it. However, I'm not sure what it means to take all the fittings off the top cover. Mine looks very similar and may be this. The top to me means removing the three flat head screws to open the top. By fittings do you mean the set screw & nut on the very top to the left of the H? Also the two nuts in the H do they get removed to open up the top? Sorry for needing everything spelled out so definitively but I've never messed with one before. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Everything in the H is a NUT..
To the left is a SCREW..(set)
Behind that is a FITTING..
Then u have the flat head SCREW..
for the top cover (1 of 3)
If u have the right one removed, (1/2” wrench) you’ll b left w a HOLE in the aluminum cover..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything in the H is a NUT..
To the left is a SCREW..(set)
Behind that is a FITTING..
Then u have the flat head SCREW..
for the top cover (1 of 3)
If u have the right one removed, (1/2” wrench) you’ll b left w a HOLE in the aluminum cover..
Perfect. I appreciate your over the top clarity. I was 95% sure that is what you were saying but since the tractor is up at my mom's without any Internet, I wanted to be sure of what I was doing before I opened up the wrong thing. Thanks a ton. Maybe I'll get lucky and not have to get it rebuilt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts