Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was out changing the oil in our van and was giving everything the once over. We just had an engine installed in it so I figured I would look it over good while the oil was draining.

I noticed a rag left between the fender well and grill, right in front of the battery. Let me preface this with, I don't wear a wedding band due to the fact I do telecommunications and electronics work. Have you ever had your ring zapped with 90 volts of ring battery? It hurts.

Anyway, back to tonight. I placed my hand down between the battery and radiator support to pull this rag out, on the way up I see positive battery post and my frigging watch. Before I knew it ZAP! It melted the watch band together and it was hotter than hell in a flash. I had to cut the band to get it off my wrist, all the time I could smell skin and hair burning, you know that nasty smell.

My wife is going to kill me, I went back to retrieve the watch from the shop floor and realized, it's my Bulova. My wife gave me this watch on our 1st anniversary. I shouldn't have been wearing it in the first place.

Moral of the story, this is why, even for the simplest of routines, ALWAYS disconnect the battery.

BTW, the wrist is blistered. I am trying to figure out if it is in fact bad enough to go to the emergency room. I hate the hospital.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
OUCH
My Dad did that years ago and he had a Spidel twist O flex
watch band. he wrist looked like little dozer tracks on it.
Rodster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
849 Posts
Years ago a guy at work threw some small batteries in his pocket that were full of change. He had to take his pants off fast. HOT POCKETS
Rodster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
Years ago a guy at work threw some small batteries in his pocket that were full of change. He had to take his pants off fast. HOT POCKETS
Rodster


:eek: Never even thought of that!! I put batteries for my camera in my pocket full of kleys all the time, I imagine that could have the same effect!!:duh:

psrumors,,, hope your wrist is feeling better soon!! Burns suck big-time!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Everyones a DUMB ASS at times, however some are more than others!!

Nice honest post and If I might add no adornments should be worn around mechanical/electrical thingys!!!

With all the "bolts" in tongues and other body parts now being viewed as trendy I can only visualize the the NEW Warnings being issued by the manufactures of domestic appliances (Insert your imagination here)..

Dean
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
I never call it the dumba$$ award. I perfer to call it the lesson learned award. I never wear jewelry when I am working on projects or at work. I use a pocket watch, remember them, I have 3 of them all orginal and all over 40 years old. I just do not care to get burned and I have been more often then not when I worked on vehicles over the last 30 years and even earlier this month when my Kubota overheated from a bad radiator cap. I opened the hood and the radiator sprayed at the same moment as the hood opened. I instantly moved my left arm to clear the spray and hit the exhaust pipe on the tractor. LESSON LEARNED to pressure test the radiator cap every 6 months and I will be building a heat shield around the exhaust pipe.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
I wouldn't call it "dumbass", more like tuition:D You should probably get that burn looked at.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top