Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how much a model ID-9 tractor is worth. It is a diesel that starts on gasoline and then you switch it over to diesel after it warms up a little. I think it is a 1947 model. Thanks,
Chuck d

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
neaver heard of a tractor that did that but l bet it would be nice in the winter

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the first I've seen too. It has a magneto and everything, spark plugs. Mighty strange.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hi Chuck, I can't really help with the WIW question, but they aren't the most comon tractor for sure! The ID9 is the industrial version of the WD9 farm tractor. The start on gas feature was comon to all IH diesels of that time. The WD9 and ID9 share an engine with the TD9 crawler of the same period. It was a 335 CID low compression diesel, with 3 valves / cylinder. The third valve opened a chamber in the head to lower compression for gasoline operation.
I realise I didn't actually answer your question, but I hope I've been helpful in any case!:D

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Originally posted by chuck d
Thanks for the info, parts man. Knowing the engine size will help me get parts.
Chuck.
Engine parts are available but make sure you have a fat wallet. I did hear a set of piston/sleeves set for sale for 1800.00. Most kits were a increase bore to the SWD-9 which had the 350 ci engine.

I'm not sure what year they started (39 MD??) but IH used the same style engine in the MD, WD-6 family, WD-9 family, 600 and 650 diesels. The start on gas and switching to diesel were also used on the farmall and IH 400 and 450 series. Farmall/IH first diesel start tractors were with the 60 series tractors, 460, 560, and 660 tractors. The diesel were prone to cracked heads if the engine wasn't cooled down before shutting them off on the gas side. Lot of the ID models I beleive had a hand clutch and a foot throttle.
caseman-d

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks caseman-d. I haven't got this ID-9 yet but the guy has offered to give it to me. guess I can't go wrong with a deal like that huh.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Originally posted by chuck d
Thanks caseman-d. I haven't got this ID-9 yet but the guy has offered to give it to me. guess I can't go wrong with a deal like that huh.
Sure can't beat a deal like that. Wished I would get deals like that close to home, oh well I have enough projects myself:) :D :) :D
caseman-d
PS: be sure to post a picture of it for us to see

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I think they are still available from your local Case Dealer. I show 53437DG for the head gasket. I think the valve cover is hard to find. I bought a couple that were found on the locator and they turned out to be to short.,

If you have the head off I would check for cracks before putting it back together.
caseman-d

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks caseman-d. None of the parts places I look at on-line show the I series tractor. It must be kinda rare do you think. Seems like it might be worth a bit. I must admit it is kinda neet for a diesel engine to have a magneto on it and will start on gas and it won't hurt it. I read that it is a C335 engine. Is that correct.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Chuck, the Is were much less comon, when looking for engine parts, ask for WD9 parts (same engine). Originally the engine would have been a D335, but if it's been rebuilt in the last 30-40 years, it's likely been upgraded to a D350. It's just bigger pistons and thinner sleeves, a change they made when going to the super WD9 etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can one of you explain how the engine is set up to run on gas and then how it runs on diesel. does it have spark plugs for gas? does it have an injection pump and injectors for diesel. and does the gas go through the injectors also or does gas go through intake? I really need to go look it over good,but it is raining here and is supposed to be for the next few days. can't do anything outside so I thought I'd ask ya'll, If you got the time to explain how the old beast works. One thing about these computers and internet, they are good when the weather is bad. Thanks a lot and sorry to keep bothering you guys. Chuck D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
No bother at all Chuck!! I always enjoy talking tractors!

The engine has 2 seperate fuel systems, one for gas and one for diesel. There are 2 levers on the left (I think) of the operaters platform. One lever is the throttle for the diesel system (injector pump), the other controls the gas system, and the third set of valves for lowering compression. When starting, the diesel system will be shut off, and the gas sytem turned on and compression lowered. The gas sytem has a magneto and spark plugs, and a carburater that has the throttle preset, and cannot be manipulated by the operater. When the engine has warmed up, the operater pushes the gas system lever which closes the third set of vavle, bring the compression ratio up to about 10-1. The same lever also closes a slide on the manifold which shuts off air flow through the carb, and grounds the mag killing current to the plugs. While pushing the gas sytem lever the operater pulls the diesel throttle (seems to me that there is a lock-out so that the diesel throttle can't be pulled till the gas system is fully shut down), sending fuel flow to the injectors and completeing switch over to diesel. IF the engine is sufficiently warmed up, there will be an almighty pop and rumble, and the engine will fire and run on diesel.;)
Clear as mud now right?!:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You aught to be a teacher parts man. So it even has a carb. huh. pretty cool. Thanks for the explanation. pretty simple operation I guess. yak at ya later. chuck d

1 - 20 of 30 Posts