Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an IH 674 diesel and I absolutely love it! However in the last two times I’ve driven it, an issue has popped up that I’m not sure about.

I’ll be driving along, Low or High, and it will rev up and speed up on its own for a second or two then go back to where I have the throttle set. The throttle arm doesn’t move.
I first thought it was maybe low on fuel or hot, so I parked her, let her cool and filled the fuel tank. The next day (today) I check her coolant and it’s good, so I get to work moving bales. About 10 minutes in it started doing again. So I finished that bale and poked around. I can’t find any obvious issues, there is a small amount of white smoke coming from a downward facing pipe on the right side of the motor, oil is clean though. Was already hot so I don’t known if that’s low yet.

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Howdy Michael, welcome to the tractor forum.

Sounds like you may have a restricted fuel flow, which can cause surging. Replace your fuel filters, if they haven't been changed in a while, and bleed air out of them after changing.

Also check your air cleaner

Many tractors have a fuel screens: 1) Attached to the fuel tank shut-off valve (cylindrical shaped screen sits up inside the tank). 2) If your tractor has a sediment bowl, there is a screen in the top of it. 3) If your tractor has a lift pump, look for a screen at the inlet to the pump.

·
252 Posts
I'll go along with changing the fuel filters and I even drain a bit of fuel out of the tank.
Had a similar situation many years ago when I had gotten some water in a fuel system,
when a little bit of water got to the engine she would pickup power for a second, did that a few times and then shut off when the injector pump siezed and broke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much. What you’re describing seems right in line with that I’m experiencing.
the fuel filters were replaced last year along with the glass bulbs at the bottom. I know how to bleed at the “injectors” if that’s what you mean.

The tractor also got a new fuel pump and starter two years ago. One fuel line going to injectors from pump had cracked around the time I replaced the pump, and I can see some air bubbles in the line leading up to the injectors themselves. The remaining lines are black so I can’t see in them.

If you mean bleeding differently than just at the injectors I don’t know for certain that I have the right process.

Thank you for your reply.

Howdy Michael, welcome to the tractor forum.

Sounds like you may have a restricted fuel flow, which can cause surging. Replace your fuel filters, if they haven't been changed in a while, and bleed air out of them after changing.

Also check your air cleaner

Many tractors have a fuel screens: 1) Attached to the fuel tank shut-off valve (cylindrical shaped screen sits up inside the tank). 2) If your tractor has a sediment bowl, there is a screen in the top of it. 3) If your tractor has a lift pump, look for a screen at the inlet to the pump.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Michael,
My primary question was bleeding at the injectors, so you are good to go.

Also, if you change fuel filters there should be a bleeder screw at the top of the filter housings to bleed air out after a filter change.

Lastly, close your fuel tank shut-off valve and open fuel line connection. Open the valve... you should have a "rush" flow... a trickle flow isn't good enough. Judge for yourself. Also check for screens in the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where abouts is the fuel tank shutoff?

I’ll re-bleed the system starting there and working forward.

Michael,
My primary question was bleeding at the injectors, so you are good to go.

Also, if you change fuel filters there should be a bleeder screw at the top of the filter housings to bleed air out after a filter change.

Lastly, close your fuel tank shut-off valve and open fuel line connection. Open the valve... you should have a "rush" flow... a trickle flow isn't good enough. Judge for yourself. Also check for screens in the system.

·
98 Posts
There are three shut off valves. One on each end off the crossover line and one going to the filters. I had a 574 this past summer doing the same thing yours is doing. Ended up being dirt in the tank that would float around and sometimes close off the line to the filters. Quite a job to remove the tank and clean so instead I removed the shutoff for the filters and brazed a 3 inch stand pipe to it so that it would not suck fuel from the bottom of the tank. Have not had an issue since

1 - 8 of 8 Posts