Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IH 444 starting issue. I have a short video of what I’m encountering my knowledge is saying starter. Would like to hear your thoughts. I removed started and tested it outside the tractor and seemed to popped out and spin at full speed. Installed runs like it has no juice. Has full battery power.

Video for reference

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Have you checked the voltage at the starter when cranking?? You may have a high resistance ground connection, interior corroded battery cables, a battery that drops excessive voltage under cranking load, or your starter may be tired.

·
Registered
NH Workmaster 50(new to me) 2019 year, IH 464 Diesel, 1976 year model.
21 Posts
Similar issue with a 464, the battery cable(s) over time loose their ability to conduct current because of heating when used. As BigT says, interior corroded cables could be your issue also. Easy test, hook your jumper cables from battery to your solenoid(just double up on positive battery cable connection) and see if your problem disappears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
IH 444 starting issue. I have a short video of what I’m encountering my knowledge is saying starter. Would like to hear your thoughts. I removed started and tested it outside the tractor and seemed to popped out and spin at full speed. Installed runs like it has no juice. Has full battery power.

Video for reference
OK stop that you are just burning up the starter more .Bushes are either completely wore out Or shorted out.The armature has got to be arc damaged Either get the starter rebuilt or buy new one .If you are handy you can replace the starter brushes .Kits are available on ebay. New bushings as well as starters . Napa and or Orlieys maybe .My rebuilder went out of buiness .Best to find a local automobile electric shop.I Hate shipping out .Freight is high. And a local rebuilder is cheaper. It is a AC Delco starter .So Google local AC Delco Starter Rebuilder.2 or 3 bolts easy off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts