Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Have a IH 364 that belonged to my dad from around 1972. The hydraulic system works so to say. The power steering works pretty good and the 3pt system will function full range of motion with out any attachment. Although it is slow. Add any attachment and nothing. My dad suggested that he thought the main piston seals might be bad. So we have taken off the top end and surprisingly the piston seal and washer look pretty good. I haven't dove into the hydraulic pump due to the power steering is working ok. I've also verified pressure to the 3pt hydraulic system as well. Although I haven not tested for pressure. Both external control valves seem to be working as they do move. Pluggage could be an issue as I have not dove into those valves yet.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas off the top of their head as what could cause a weak hydraulic system IF the pump is putting up the correct pressure?

Thank you

Kevin

·
922 Posts
As mentioned clean the suction screen then check for the delivered pressure, then attempt to get a flow rate with pressure on the system. If the lift will not lift a load either the pressure is low or there is system leakage greater then pump flow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. Have a new filter on order along with gaskets and orings for the main piston. Going to pull the control valves out and give them a look over as well. Everything does look to be in pretty good shape. You mention suction filter and screen. I see the filter in the parts diagram, I have that on order, which is the suction to the pump. The screen, is that the smaller metal filter that is located behind the bolt on the front cover? Just making sure I've found everything.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weekend update: Started cleaning out this housing piece and I've found some clues. First I sound a piece of rubber hose. Strange since I've not seen this on any parts diagram. But then I found a piece of chain, 2 links worth. Then upon further investigation I see that there is a chain that runs from the front of the housing at the valve body back to the piece that raises the 3pt system. Sorry I do not know all the proper terminology. I haven't got any further into the housing but it does look like this chain could be part of the draft system, I just can't see what it attaches to. Being part of the draft system, I could see where this could cause my problem, but, my dad said the draft system started acting up many many years back. SO either it is part of the problem but the way it broke the draft system was ok and something finally moved and now it doesn't work. Or, it's a completely separate problem.

Question to you guys, what exactly does this chain do? And after taking the front plate off the housing that has the valves, how do I get the second plate off? The first plate just came off once I took the bolts out. This next plate that houses the filter and spring is on there good.

Thanks again

Kevin

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
There is a short hose splice on the pump suction, see item #9 on attached parts diagram. If this hose has deteriorated, it can allow air entry into the hydraulic system, or it can collapse under suction.

The only chain I can think of is on the lift links, to keep the lift arms from swinging into the rear tires. Click on 6-83 on the attached diagram to see what I'm referring to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. LouNY is correct. I just don't know if this was the cause of my problem. It is an issue as the rubber hose has crumbled and the chain is broke in two places. Looks like a protection in some way that maybe if you lift the rear arms up too high it will release pressure and drop them. To keep them from going to far. Just my guess.

I got the other plate off. Getting into the nitty gritty. Still don't see anything obvious but I'm slowly taking it a part to see what could be leaking. Will update soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back from the dead. Sorry, it's been a long hot summer down here. Finally got all my parts in. Inside the hydraulic system looked very clean other than the chain mentioned previously. Changed out all the O-rings and what not just got everything back together. Not much has changed. With no load the 3pt system moves full range. Draft seems to work a little better. Put any kind of weight at idle and the 3pt doesn't move. But here is my question. With me, 235lbs, standing on the 3pt system at idle it won't lift me. But if I reach up and double the rpms the 3pt system will lift me. Not as fast as I would think it should, but it does lift me the full range. Does this tell you guys anything?

I disconnected the supply tubing from the hydraulic system and put it in a bucket. I cranked the tractor and I did see pretty good flow. No measurment was conducted but I would say I was seeing a couple gallons a minute flow.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

·
1,574 Posts
Hello all. Have a IH 364 that belonged to my dad from around 1972. The hydraulic system works so to say. The power steering works pretty good and the 3pt system will function full range of motion with out any attachment. Although it is slow. Add any attachment and nothing. My dad suggested that he thought the main piston seals might be bad. So we have taken off the top end and surprisingly the piston seal and washer look pretty good. I haven't dove into the hydraulic pump due to the power steering is working ok. I've also verified pressure to the 3pt hydraulic system as well. Although I haven not tested for pressure. Both external control valves seem to be working as they do move. Pluggage could be an issue as I have not dove into those valves yet.

Just curious if anyone has any ideas off the top of their head as what could cause a weak hydraulic system IF the pump is putting up the correct pressure?

Thank you

Kevin
"IF the pump is putting up the correct pressure". You not only need that pressure, you also need flow (GPM). At this point the statements and replies indicate that you are currently not quite sure of either? It seems to me that what you've done so far may well have been needed, but you still may have a tired pump.

I don't claim to have all the answers with Internationals, but it seems many of the older ones with power steering robbed flow from the hydraulic system through a flow divider/priority valve to supply that function. Your pump may be able to supply that, but not have much left for anything else. IF that's what your system has.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Fedup. Just talked with my dad earlier and he brought up this same topic. It does have this divider/priority valve you speak of. Next step will be to try to isolate the power steering and see if this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One last question for tonight. What style fittings/threads are on these hydraulic tubing lines? I'm curious to the style so I can try to find some adapters to convert to standard or metric here in the states.

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Fedup. Just talked with my dad earlier and he brought up this same topic. It does have this divider/priority valve you speak of. Next step will be to try to isolate the power steering and see if this helps.
cleaning mine and restored

Flow/Diverter is what had my IH 484 doing the same as yours . Hyd slow & weak. Pull the plug out remove the spring and spool ( probably be stuck ) take some emery cloth and polish spool till it slides free inside tube . That’s all I had to do, really a easy fix . RED POWER!!
MICHAEL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help Couch. Looks like I found my problem or at least there is a problem here. The end of the plug I removed that holds the ball bearing is really beat up and has metal missing. The metal spool you referred to was stuck as well. Looks like these parts aren't being made anymore. I can clean up the spool but I'm going to have to see if the plug piece will still function properly. If not It's going to be a lot searching on the web.

I'm assuming here that with the metal spool being stuck, the ball/spring/spool allows oil just to kickback to the supply side of the pump? Definetly would explain everything.

Thanks again. Will update when I move forward.

Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts