Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Can I get a little advice? My tractor will only run if I hold the choke closed, as soon as I let go or let it open too much it stalls. It has an inline filter and has a flomatic fuel pump on the line. I think it used to be gravity fed, but someone changed it and added the flo matic. I took the fuel line off the carb and turned the key to see if gas flowed and it did. Checked all sparks with tester, all sparks show on test bulb. Could something with the carb suddenly go wrong. First time I ever had to go this deep without getting it started. Like I said I could keep it running if I hold the choke all the way shut. I kept it running for a few minutes before I let off and it stalled. The bucket went up and down etc too while I was contorted to keep the choke shut. Do you think it's the carb or my flomatic is not working consistently enough to feed the carb. I changed the filter as well.
Thanks, George

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Howdy George, welcome to the forum.

Most likely you have a partially plugged jet in the carburetor. You can try cleaning the carb yourself, or take it to a shop for cleaning. You need to run small wires through the orifices in the carb. Welder torch tip cleaning wires are often useful for this job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would carb cleaner shot in where the gas goes in flush it out.? Carbs are one of the things I haven't had much experience with, so if not I'll have to take it off and bring it to a shop.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sounds like fuel starvation..a carb issue. If there’s a flow of fuel to the carb..then it may have picked up some debris in a jet. Spray cleaners will not remove grit in jet and could cause additional problems if varnish flakes are also generated. Best solution is to remove the carb and thoroughly clean the inside. May consider a rebuild kit while you have it apart. B.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
Sounds to me like a gummed up from Egas carb. Needs to come apart and be cleaned inside. I usually take mine off and take them apart and soak all the parts in my heated ultrasonic cleaner that I keep filled with Berryman's B12 Chem tool. Stuff leans all the gunk out.

Classic sign of a gunked up carb is, the engine will only run on choke.

·
Registered
Ford 5000
75 Posts
What SideCarFlip said plus they make a Carburetor Cleaner in a Can that I’ve used in the past, you disassemble your carburetor place the parts inside the basket inside the can and let it soak over night, next day pull it out and use compressed air to blow all the carburetor cleaner out. Reassemble carburetor and install back on tractor. There are a ton of YouTube videos on tractor carburetor repairs just have to find one that’s close to your model

1 - 7 of 7 Posts