Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a IH 2400A front end loader. 1972 ish. I have serial numbers for all. It died on me suddenly. I've replace points cap rotor plus wires coil fuel pump carb rebuild kit but now it is just running to rich or to lean. How can one thing starting out to be electrical end up now with fuel problems? It has a marvel Schebler TSX985SL. 405869R94. It is baffling to me and now two mechanics that have worked on it to why and whats going on. I just keep dumping money into it and not getting it resolved. Any Ideas before I go buy a new Carb?
Thanks, John

·
Super Moderator
9,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum John. Back up to the "carb Kit". Did you soak or clean the carb well before installing the kit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum John. Back up to the "carb Kit". Did you soak or clean the carb well before installing the kit?
Yes I did more than once, I've had that thing off and gone through it so many times I can do it in the dark.

·
960 Posts
There was a time (more years ago than I care to count) when I had pretty good luck working on carburetors. The Marvels are one of the simplest units out there. However, as age increases and vision decreases, there things I simply have stopped doing. Carburetors being one of them.

My experience with carb kits sold today is that they are mostly JUNK. It really doesn't matter where you get it or what you pay for it. The more expensive kits just have more parts you can't/don't use. I've done exactly what you've done. Take it apart, clean it as best you can, remove as many parts as you can get to come out, hope the new stuff fits and put in as much of it as possible. Put it all together and it runs (or doesn't run) just as before. Do it all again and again with the same result.

New replacement units pretty much all come from the same manufacturers as the kits. some work, some don't. If you buy and install one, don't be disappointed if it seems to be very little if any better.

There are professional rebuilders out there, but they will run $300+. I've gone that route a few times with good success. When I get calls for carburetor work, that's what I suggest. I don't waste my time working on them anymore.

·
960 Posts
Not sure just what you're hoping to hear, but you have to make some choices sooner or later. If it won'r run, you either fix it or you don't. If it IS the carburetor, you either fix it or replace it. These guys aren't cheap, but they're good. An aftermarket replacement will run probably half the cost of a rebuild.
http://burreycarb.com/

https://www.mmtractorparts.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts