Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot a problem with my ingersoll 4020. I have inherited this tractor that I have had ignition issues from the beginning. It is a completely stock 4020 with the original plan p220 with 460 hours on the meter. I have replaced every ignition component from ignition control to the spark plugs. It ran like a sewing machine for about 30 mins then died. I have no spark at the plugs. If the ignition control is bad again what
could have caused it to go bad in such a short period of time? Wire harness is in ok shape but has some splices that are clearly not done by the factory. My hope is that someone can point me to something that they have dealt with that is causing this. Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Howdy Wes, welcome to the tractor forum.

One simple thing to try is to "hot wire" the ignition. Run a wire from the battery hot terminal to the coil input (disconnect the regular coil input wire to eliminate any problems associated with circuitry). By doing this you rule out all safety switches and wiring/keyswitch problems. See if it will start (or at least get spark) with the hot wire. If it starts and runs, you know your problem is upstream of the coil.

Don't leave the wire on the coil if you are not trying to start or run the tractor. It's the same as leaving the keyswitch "on".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts