Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
298 dollar Swisher, Im in th process of fabricating the lift and brakets for. It will also accept there plow when Im done
Its much better than the Sears plow.
it will lift higher than the Johnny bucket :D

Attachments

Reactions: William Walters

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
another view, the scraper blade is removable

Attachments

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I like the bucket height and the ripper but the mounts for the tractor don't look as strong as the JBJr. Maybe it's just the angle of the picture? Could you post a closeup of the mount? Or is this something you're still working on with the actuator? If you could measure how high it lifts and then how high to the edge of the bucket in the up and dump position that would be very helpful.
So is this the same "swisher" with the trail mowers and atv accessories? You say it only cost $298? What's included for that price? You're probably thinking could this guy ask any more questions? :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
those brackets are only temporary till I see how much room I have
to work with. and yes I bought the bucket at Tractor supply co
298, it does not have any actuator just a dump release.
they made it for a ATV. once Im dont fabricating the mount for the
2548 I should be able to use any of the Swisher products

now 298 plus a actuator for the lift and the steel plate for the mount will still cost less than a Johnny bucket with shipping.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm not ready to judge. I want to see the finished product because this one is obviously a mock-up, and I'm sure topdj has a number of changes in mind. I want to encourage ALL projects of this nature. No doubt, topdj will find out the same things we did...........hopefully more. He already found the perfect switch, and I'm still searching.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Topdj, for $298 that looks like a great deal! I like the tooth bar on the bucket too. The tooth bar really helps out with digging. Even with the cost of the actuator and the bucket; that is still less than half the price of the JB. Great find! I can't wait to see the pictures of the actuator lift hooked up and demo pics. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Thats nice, and a great price to boot. I have always liked the idea of the JB, but just could not get the cost out of my head. Can't wait to here how it all works out, and if it is as tough as the JB is. How was it ment to mount up? Any pictures of the brackets that came with it? Hmmmmmmmm I DO have an old plow mount for my tractor........hmmmmmm Spacing on them arms seems about right..............hmmmmmmm Small hydro cyl for dump, and a few lines made up..........................hmmmmmmmm..........

You know, whay do you guys do this to me??????;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mount brackets are 1/4 inch steel plate, real fun to drill through
I picked up some Steel bits Hitachi brand boy they are not cheap
3/4 inch bit is 19.98, 5/8 was 12 ect, Looks like in order to get
lots of force 2 actuators on the bucket and 1 for the dump
can quite imatate HYD cyl. you know they are just to slow to
shake the bucket if it has stuff stuck in it. Deck lift and Sleeve hitch they are perfect for, but I honestly think you guys with built in Hyd system are all set , the highest I can get is 3 feet to the top of the bucket depending on how high you mount the brackets.
If this is done right you could load small dump trailers that have sides no higher that 26" off the ground.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
max bucket height, Im thinking of going with 18- 7.5- 8 tires
to gain a another inch :)

42 for you that can't read my square :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
How much work can you do with one of these? It is not like having a Bobcat or anything right? No backhoe jobs or digging graves or anything large? Are you just using it to move soil/gravel around the yard? I guess I am kinda naive about these little buckets and their overall value vs. cost.

Andy

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
heightest dump height 19

I could extend the brackets to get a few more inches but the required force to lift will just keep on increasing
I want to find a high speed actuator thats rated for 1500lbs lifting force and 6 or 8 inches

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Andy,
As much information as has been posted about the Johnny Bucket Jr, I would've guessed that these basic questions had already been answered. There are several limitations here. First of all, the biggest alternator which is being used to do all the work is 15 amp. You've indicated that you understand electricity, and this by itself will tell you how much work this electric wheelbarrow is capable of doing.
topdj will learn that due to the long arm that he is shooting for, he will need a 2,000 lb actuator that has about a 8" to 10" stroke. This size of actuator will not only pull more amperage, but it'll also test the capacity of the battery(due to the longer time period of the full stroke). Additionally, he will learn that he needs to add another electric actuator(of some kind) in order to add the power dump feature. Otherwise, the whole rig really won't do much work.
IMO topdj would be much better off if he would install a PTO-driven hydraulic power pack. IMO what he wants to do is probably a job for "hydraulics".
IMO all the necessary backyard engineering has been already done by John Scheele. IMO the present design J-B Jr is approaching the limit that you can do with electricity(on a little tractor).
My opinion is based on having moved as much, or more, dirt and stuff with a J-B Jr as anyone. And, I still have a ways to go. Except, that most of the remainder of bucket work that I have can wait until the house and the garage are built, and until we have moved in. Having the tractor right there all the time will make it a lot more handy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replied and it said page could not be displayed
OH well Im not typing a whole page again just to loose it

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Willie, you can simply state --- what you use your tractor to accomplish --- rather than getting involved with all of this secondary info on your actuator, amps, stroke length and other unsolicited information.

Simply put: Would you say?
A. I use it to haul 2 tons of gravel around the lot.
B. I use it to haul 3 bags of mulch.
C. I use it to dig a grave for my pet elephant.
D. I use it to lift a load of soil for my garden.

I just cannot see what this bucket can do that would warrant its use vs. getting out there and muscling the task. I am not against FEL's etc, but this is not a real FEL --- I guess I am just confused on the capabilities of this device --- It just looks too small to be able to accomplish much work without lots of time --- I am not trying to judge your purchases or reasons for utilizing these buckets --- I am simply trying to become a little more educated on the product.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
top soil, mulch, stone, anything that would save my back :D
I did discover the forks on the bucket can rip up sod with a little effort, not very efficent at it, Willies is right about one thing a Bigger actuator is needed. I still have a few of those 500lb ones left and they are perfect for the sleeve hitch or deck lift.
they also work on the dump for the bucket, But they strain on the bucket lift do to my close angle of lift. I need a longer actuator that is 1500-2000 lift

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2 tons of gravel 20 x 200lb trips
with a shovel and a wheelbarrow YUK!
with a johnny bucket or this, much faster

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Well, I guess it all depends how often you have to move gravel, soil or anything like that.... I personally dont have to move any of stuff but about twice a year if I am lucky. I guess other people have more use for these contraptions. Thanks for the input & straight answers on this, TopDJ.

Andy
:furious:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts