Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The deer are decimating the garden. They have eaten everyone of my wife's sunflowers and are now starting on the squash and cucumber plants. I hate to kill them but if this does not stop or another idea comes to mind. I will be applying the OO buck copper plate buffered 3" magnum 12 guage to the garden. I have tried everything folks locally have suggested in the past but they keep right on coming back. I'd appreciate any idea's short of shooting the deer to keep them away if it will work. I would rather not shoot them during their birthing season while they are raising their young.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Put an electric fence around it. Attach tin foil strips with peanut butter on every few feet...they find PB irresistible...the rest is instilling in their psyche about your garden area being an uncomfortable experience for them.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
So far my electric wire seems to be working. I have not seen the deer for a couple of weeks now anyway. Maybe they changed their route (I hope).

Argee, I like the PB idea. That could also work for the neighbor kids. Naw, I'm not that mean. I have signs on the wire to alert them.

Mark

·
Registered
497 Posts
You are right argee, the PB plan works wonders with the deere, dogs also.

I put in a 6 wire high tensile electric fence. I put a couple of salt and apple mineral blocks on the out side of the fence. They haven't come in. I didn't use the PB but I know it works from past experiences. We are trying to bring the deere to the yard just not through the Garden.

But remember most deere have a 6' vertical leap. They can come over most fences, if they want.

Good luck.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by psrumors
But remember most deere have a 6' vertical leap. They can come over most fences, if they want.

Good luck.
Your right about that! But, the whole intent of the electric wire is mental conditioning....once they get zapped, they will avoid the fence and its immediate surrounds.:)

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by memmurphy
Argee, I like the PB idea. That could also work for the neighbor kids. Naw, I'm not that mean. I have signs on the wire to alert them.

Mark
What works for kids is to talk them into peeing on the fence...they'll only do it once...don't ask me how I know this:lmao:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
What works for kids is to talk them into peeing on the fence...they'll only do it once...don't ask me how I know this:lmao:
Sounds like it is spoken from previous experience!!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
They have a motion activated sprinkler, it would water the garden and spook the deer as well????? Just an idea and might not be as expensive as the electric fence.:smoking:
:cheers:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey Stewart, is the peeing thing really true?

I always thought that to be a myth. I remember as a child peeing around them but I don't rightfully remember if anyone of us boys actually hit the fence.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have never done it, but have heard the stories, I was raised on an acre in town and never had a fence like that. I am also told that boys and men have terrible aim. Maybe Argee will tell us his story????:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Near where I work, a fella got really P.O. at the deer eating his landscaping, that he put up a 10 foot high multi wire electric fence that makes the outside of his property look like a POW camp. I gotta admit though the landscaping inside the fence is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
I must say that is a little extremist, Joe --- but whatever works, right? :D

I would hate to have to go to that lengths to protect my property.
Did he place any claymores?

:punchin: Me and the deer would have to tango.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Venison steaks anyone:question: :question: :question: I left the dog out last night but the wife has spoiled him to the point that he is a big pussy cat. :D I'll wait and see how the dog thing works out. I can't use the 7mm Remington Magnum because I am too close to the road and houses. Buck shot will work but it makes such a mess.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
I can't use the 7mm Remington Magnum because I am too close to the road and houses. Buck shot will work but it makes such a mess.
Think .22 magnum HP in the eye....quick, lethal, quiet:D

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Stewart
Maybe Argee will tell us his story????:confused:
In my adolescent (stupid) years:D I acted upon a dare....it was a shocking experience but it taught me a great lesson...think before you act.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have also heard that eggs work real well for the forestry service in protecting young saplings. Beat them up well and spray with a pump sprayer.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Go to the barber and get all the hair you can get and spread it around. I saw that on a movie the deer was eating the grass seed for on a baseball field and they used hair to keep them off until the grass had grown. The movie was a true story about a High school baseball coach that ended up playing a few games in the majors as a pitcher.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts