Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an Ingersoll 446 locally. I don't yet know the year, if it runs, how much the owner wants, or what is wrong with it. What I do know is that it has been outside for over a year, tires hold air, and it looks complete with good condition sheet metal (minor surface rust). What should I be looking for when I get a hold of the owner in two weeks? Any specific things to check and how do I check them if the engine does not run? Any specific problems that are expensive enough to fix that I should walk away? This guy also has a Deere 216 for sale that needs more work cosmetically, and probably internally, but I'm more familiar with Deeres. I like my green machines, but I also know that this Ingersoll might be a real good machine if it is not beyond my skill level to fix. I'm already comfortable with an engine swap, but not familial with the hydraulic system of the Ingersoll. It's different than Deere hydrostatic systems. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. I also want to thank you all for the photos in another thread here as it might help me ID the year of this tractor.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Joe,
Without having it running it would be real hard to check this machine. Some of the problems 446's encounter are at the bottom of the differential housing. Check for cracks or see if it has been welded. There was a problem of the case hardened thru bolts that hold the spider assembly together shearing off and dropping into the housing, then becoming pinched between the housing and the large ring gear. The housing always loses the battle. Even if it is cracked, it's repairable and should give you bargaining power.

The other problem on the old units is the hydraulic pumps. They are aluminum gear pumps that cavitate rather easily if the fluid was not kept clean. There was no provision for filtration on the old tractors so this may indeed be a problem. Again this is an easy fix and pumps can be obtained through a hydraulic repair outlet at a lower cost than through an Ingersoll dealer.

They're tough machines and will take a lot of abuse.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well, most of my expearance is with the Kohler single powerd units, but I will gave a go at it

If it does not run, make sure the motor at least turns over. The 16hp Onan's tended to not take neglect well, and rewarded the owner with a rod in peices in the cylinder. Last time I priced a new motor[the replacement is 18hp] it was just under $1200.

As for the transaxle. Ya, those bolts can be trublesome. BUT. If your unit is in fact a Ingersoll, not a older Case, you will probably be fine. From talking to people it seems Ingersoll fixed the problem pretty early in there ownership of the brand.[good thing becouse bolth mine are Ingersolls, and no cracks in mine]

Other then that, pretty much the only real wair point is the front end, and stearing. I have seen a few bent axles[how I have NO inea, I work mine REAL hard, and never bent one] slop in steering, and tie rods. Check for any hydro leaks. Look at the fluid in the resavore. Make sure it is not mud.

Thats about it. I would be more then happy to help, if you get any more info on it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! It is an Ingersoll with no reference to the Case name on the hood and has a 16 HP Onan. Similar to the Onan I just replaced in my one Deere 316. The headlights were not broken and the dash , although weathered from being outside, is in one piece (looks to be plastic) the seat is trash, no sleeve hitch or 3 point, no mower deck. I getting from you guys that if it DOES have a hydro filter, that it will be a relatively new machine (1990s vs. 1980s?) The owner is enjoying Florida right now and won't be back until mid March. The fellow that showed it to me knew very little about it and not even what it was gonna sell for. I appreciate the info very much!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
A 446 would NOT have a filter. Well, not unless a PO added one, but I doupt it. Only when Ingersoll went to the 4 didgit #'s did they have a filter. Probably like mine, and a 87.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by bontai Joe
Thanks guys! It is an Ingersoll with no reference to the Case name on the hood and has a 16 HP Onan. Similar to the Onan I just replaced in my one Deere 316. The headlights were not broken and the dash , although weathered from being outside, is in one piece (looks to be plastic) the seat is trash, no sleeve hitch or 3 point, no mower deck. I getting from you guys that if it DOES have a hydro filter, that it will be a relatively new machine (1990s vs. 1980s?) The owner is enjoying Florida right now and won't be back until mid March. The fellow that showed it to me knew very little about it and not even what it was gonna sell for. I appreciate the info very much!
I think the dash is steel with a plastic decal on it. Paul mentioned the steering getting a little loose....I had forgotten about that. The pivot pin for the steering is an easy fix with a short piece of galvanized pipe from the hardware.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What fluid is used in the hydraulic system? Just so I know what to look for.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
15W40 motor oil...Can you believe that? I couldn't at first, but that's what it takes.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
I think the dash is steel with a plastic decal on it. Paul mentioned the steering getting a little loose....I had forgotten about that. The pivot pin for the steering is an easy fix with a short piece of galvanized pipe from the hardware.
hate to argue with argee:D :D but the later ones had a plastic dash. My 87 does, but my 83 has steel with a vinel decale.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
well, 20w40 is recomanded, but if you can't get it,[and noone can:) ] 15w40 is the next best. I have had the best luck with Shell Rotella.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
hate to argue with argee:D :D but the later ones had a plastic dash. My 87 does, but my 83 has steel with a vinel decale.
I didn't realize they had gone to a plastic dash. Probably a better deal.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked out the Ingersoll 446 today

I went to negotiate on the Ingersoll 446 today. The owner was back from vacation. It turns out it isn't his to sell. It was semi-abandoned by a guy that wanted it fixed, but found out what a new Onan cost and said, "I'll get back to you." over a year ago. I will check with the guy again in a while to see if he has contacted the real owner.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well if he hasn't heard from the owner in over a year he has the right to sell it if he wants to.
Jody

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yea I would think the storage fee alone would entitle him to it. If he afraid let him put a mechanics lein on it, real cheap and easy to do in most places. (or just steal it in the middle of the night he might be happy to see it gone and not even report it, just kidding of course)

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
My sister is a dog groomer and some woman that has been coming to her for years came in and drop off her poodle for grooming. She didn't come back that day so my sister call her the woman said she didn't have the money to get the dog. After two month's she gave the dog away it was within her rights to do so. I still cant see how someone could just drop there pet off and never come back and get it:confused: It was the sweetest dog too. I don't know what yall's laws are but down here he would be within his rights to sell it.
Jody

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I'm seriously negotiating with the guy for the Deere 216 he also has. The motor has compression, and the sheet metal work is all straight, and only has minor rust. I was looking for a project tractor that wasn't running, but could be brought back to life without buying a new motor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts